pipe in my exhaust

G

gary

ive got a pipe going into a box in the exhaust. the box is in the middle of the car can anyone tell what its for and can it be removed. :?:

S

Sunny Nutter

there is a 'box' mid way on the exhaust thats the catalytic converter....which can be removed!

if this is not it...I suggest you post up a pic of the assembly so we can have a look at it!

A

AZ STE

Do you mean the Lambda sensor? has a cable coming out of it, this controls/feeds back to your fuelling so you cant remove it

M

Mikey

The armored wire that you are talking about is the cat temp sensor, the lambda sensor is in the dump pipe elbow.

T

tombola

cat temp sensor stuck

ive tried to fit a de-cat pipe but the cat temp sensor is
rusted in solid ,does it need it is any one running a R
without one plugged in please help power hunger is takin
over

A

AJ4

The cat temp sensor is only there to tell you the cat has reached the temperature hot enough to set fire to things - apparently people were running very hot cats and then parking over piles of dead leaves which catch fire :shock:

It is not attached to the ecu in any way, and is only connected to a light on the dashboard ( the 'sizzling sausage' one ). Most people just remove the sensor and tie it up out of the way ( but leave it connected ). If you remove it, or cut the wires, you will have to put up with the light on the dashboard being on constantly or remove the bulb :idea: It won't affect anything else though.

J

jasegould

If you remove it, or cut the wires, you will have to put up with the light on the dashboard being on constantly or remove the bulb
Mine has been cut and tied up under the car and the light isnt on...and the bulbs still in as it lights up with the ignition then goes out :?:

Also did the same with my mates starlet and he hasnt had any probs[/quote]

S

Sunny Nutter

I couldn't get the sensor out of mine either so I just cut the wire, insulated the end and pushed it back inside,
I never get the light on and she runs great!

T

tombola

done it

cheers for the info guys just took my cat off
ohter day ,i took the drivers seat out to disconnect
the cat temp sensor had to rip carpet about an inch (sorry) to get to
the plug ,cut it [after unpluging] and pulled it through from
underneath so that it could be reconected if needed
the cat came off so easy and took less time
than the seat out part
the turbo now spins up quicker and feels more responsive
and the noise difference from the apexi is ALLOT :lol: