painting rocker cover

G

GTI-R Kid

ashills said:
just use a 2 pack gives a good finish and last a long time
Does paint from a can found in a car accessory shop work or does the heat destroy it?

SickBoy

M8 if you dont even know wot 2 pack paint is give it a miss !!!!

Give Disco Dave a shout he will do a top quality one for you on an exchange basis

Lee :D

Fire & skill

Vintage member
2 pack is synthetic paint and its flexible, the paint you get in halfords is cellulose based in fact all aerosol paint is cellulose. 2 pack is ideal for painting plastic as it wont flake off - it sticks like sh!tt to a shovel

gtirx2

I am about to give this a go in the next couple of days and was wondering if you guys primed it first or just went straight on with the paint on bare metal?Also what did you do about the black bit around the plug holes did you mask that part of or just sand it down and paint it all?
I am planing to paint mine in the same colour as the car in kj7 white but do you think the paint will discolour over time with do heat?and who else has painted there rocker cover in 2 pack paint and how has yours stood up over time?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
gtirx2 said:
I am about to give this a go in the next couple of days and was wondering if you guys primed it first or just went straight on with the paint on bare metal?Also what did you do about the black bit around the plug holes did you mask that part of or just sand it down and paint it all?
I am planing to paint mine in the same colour as the car in kj7 white but do you think the paint will discolour over time with do heat?and who else has painted there rocker cover in 2 pack paint and how has yours stood up over time?
Hi again mate

I've done exactly what your about to do. You could try Dave as Lee suggests above or if you fancy having a crack at it yourself and you have the equiptment.

For convieneance and a great next day service try NU-AGANE CARPAINTS

I called the number on the Logo and he was willing to sell me the paints I needed in the approx quantities I would need for the Job.

If youv'e stripped it back to the Ali, you'll need to etch prime it first then a few coats of high build primer (flatting it off between coats) then a coat of your choosen 2K colour, then as many coats of 2K lacquer you need to give a nice deep luster.

If you don't have the equiptment you can come round here and use mine

Steve

gtirx2

Cheers for the reply mate,No i am fine for all the equipment and i have most of the paint i need as well but i am glad you brought up the etch primer my old man was on about that and i was not to sure,i asume you only need the etch primer because the cover is made of alloy and you need that for the paint to stick well.
Also i am not sure if i am useing lacquer yet as the paint i have is all ready a gloss finich,but i think i can still lacquer on top if i want a shiner and tougher finich:)

MORF114

2 pack wont stick to anything it will flake off the same as any other paint apart from truck paint everything needs to be keyed before paint is applied or it will flake off especially with the heat off the engine it will flake off even easier, you have to put down plastic primer onto plasitc or it will flake off even faster and for very flexible parts you have to put down a adhesive which has a flexible compound in the paint to stop the paint cracking (cant remember what its called )
out of all the paint companies ive used RM,SIKKENS,STANDOX,DUPONT,GLASURIT used all solvent and waterbased, none of them will stick without some sort of primer coat used before application to any surface. 2k have high isocyanates which arent exactly very healthy so where a mask. After spraying 12 cars a day (full resprays) in work with all spray equiptment i have a headache FROM THE FUMES!! WHO NEEDS DRUGS.

Quick Guide.
1. Take off rocker cover
2.sand with 240 grit to get rid of deep scratches dont go lower than 240grit as it is very gritty and causes deep scratches and will make the finished product if painting a silvery colour will show all the scratches.
3.600 grit wet flat the whole thing dont have to take down to bare metal its totally up to you.
4.etch the whole cover (if metal is showing through) wait to dry (untill its matted off) give it 2-3 coats of high build primer (if it needs it you can paint straight over the etch with your colour of choice if you are using a metalic i would high build prime it if using a direct gloss solid colour its thick enough to hide scratches that metalics show up.
5.spray a guide coat (a fine mist of any colour can use charcoal if you want to) over the primer this will show up orange peel and any other imperfections.
6.wet sand or dry sand once the primer is dry 600-800 grit dont really need to go higher than 800 sand out all imperfections shown up by guide coat if you rub through to metal you will have to etch again before final application.(if using a silvery colour paint use 800 grit.)
7.clean off cover with prepsol or wipe with thinners (dont use industrial thinners as it can depending on product used wipe off your paint!) to get rid of oil and finger print marks as they can cause problems with paint adhesion.
8.Now the best part blast away with your colour of choice.
9.If using cob (clear over base) wait for the base to dry all the way through before applying the clear (get a tack rag from a paint distributor to tack off your base coat before you clear, if you dont know what a tack rag is its a sticky rag that picks up bits of dirt or droplets of dry base coat on the surface very very good to have one.) all paint systems are different for clear applications so its up to you how many coats you give but dont really need to give it more than 3 depending how thin or thick you apply it .

Quick guide for people who dont know anything but want to paint rocker cover themselves.

gtirx2

Thanks for the informative post mate:) thats all anyone will ever need to know to be able to paint the rocker cover themselfs and get a good finich:thumbsup:
I will be giveing this a go soon so i will post a pic up when i am done,it will ever turn out great or be a runny mess, will see:p

sadsy

i did my rover ahem....rocker cover about 30,000mls ago and its still like brand new, its cheaper than getting one of those powder coated ones off fleabay imo.

gtirx2

Well i have finiched painting me rocker cover and i am pretty happy with the finich,:thumbsup: apart from the odd bit of dust and 1 hair:oops: :lol: its come out pretty good8)
Well here are some pics sorry about the quality my camara is poo.
Etch primed
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/gtirx2/rockerPIC001.jpg
primed then sanded
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/gtirx2/rockerPIC006.jpg
finiched
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/gtirx2/rocker.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/gtirx2/dPIC008.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/gtirx2/dPIC012.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/gtirx2/dPIC013.jpg
Looks a bit green in the pics but it is actuley white:lol: :lol: :lol:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Wasn't expecting that colour for some reason, don't know why ? Prolly cos I spent so long doing mine black

Good Job though, well done

gtirx2

Thanks mate;-) the pics make it look greeny:lol: but it is the same colour as the car kj7 white.Only trouble i had was the odd bit of dust.
How did yours come out?did you have trouble with the odd bit of dust in it?

321_GO

I had mine painted Gold, colour matched to my wheels, but as it heats up a little bit the colour should darken a bit. So in your case it may go a slight shade of grey.

MORF114

Looks greeny/grey just because of shadows/light (metamorism) shouldnt turn grey with the heat though never ever heard that one before of colours changing colour with heat (except with colours dulling due to uv rays and heat changing colours which are manufactured to do so)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
gtirx2 said:
Thanks mate;-) the pics make it look greeny:lol: but it is the same colour as the car kj7 white.Only trouble i had was the odd bit of dust.
How did yours come out?did you have trouble with the odd bit of dust in it?
Nah, no specks of dust for me :)..............

..................fricken great 4" long Alsation hairs, twigs, feathers and woodchips but no microscopic particals of dust :?