Overfuelling?

smiddy

I'm starting a new thread as my last one 'water in plug wells' is not the problem:?
The car is backfiring badly. And now after a quick run it wont start.
I've changed the plugs but when I took them out to inspect them again thay are black and sooty. When I clean them it will start again but after a run once it cools down it wont start.
I've also changed the fuel filter.
Checked the distributer cap and it seems ok
Any ideas?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Throttle position sensor - Does it idle rough too, or is it fine otherwise?
How about the fast idle - does it drop back when the car is warm, or run better when it's cold? I'm just wondering if the temperature sender for the ECU has stopped working.
I think someone already ask you, and the MAF was fine wasn't it?

smiddy

I idles perfect when cold about 1100rpm then drops to 900rpm when warm. It will idle all day and revs clean, its just when I take it out for a run and its under load it backfires a lot then wont start the next time I try it again:cry:

smiddy

I've done the fault check, 5 long and 5 short flashes, kept repeating so all ok there. The emanage doesn't effect this i take it.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Are they gapped right?
I only ask because I had really low power on the rolling road and found I had my plugs gapped at 0.55mm :doh: - They're at 0.9mm now and the difference is quite impressive.

smiddy

Ok, so took out and cleaned plugs, dizzy cap checked leads and took the car for a short drive. I did a fault check as soon as I came back and it flashed up 12. I took it for another short drive and checked again this time 55.
Going to check AFM harness and connector.
Just to be sure is this what I looking for and what should I be checking

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I've done the fault check, 5 long and 5 short flashes, kept repeating so all ok there. The emanage doesn't effect this i take it.

It could be your emanage connections or configuration is wrong. One of the reasons I don't like piggy back ECU's is the can mask errors and give you different failure modes.

smiddy

I took off the connections to the AFM and gave them a blast of WD40 and let them dry out a while, connected them back up and took the car for a drive. No backfiring now and pulling strong up the rev range. Did fault check and showing 55.

Wont hold my breath though as it could'nt be that simple?

Will get new plugs, gap them and fit them tomorrow as I've taken the last one's out and cleaned them about 5 times now!!