oil return pipe for 3071 turbo

Fusion Ed

Is it me or the angle the picture was taken but it looks like that return goes up hill :doh::der:, The oil return is gravity fed so needs to be going down hill not up, You will end up f*cking the turbo bearings if the oil doesn't drain away from the turbo properly.

Rob

This was simply an example that Ashills did, and I should add, he had no problems with it at all...

MarkTurbo

My original idea of using a 90 degree fitting off the bottom of the turbo and a straight fitting wont work as they end up virtually touching each other so no room to get any hose in between them :doh:

I was messing about with the nissan oil drain fitting today at work though and managed to shorten it by over an inch and then redo the endform on it again. Dont know how much differance it'll make but i'll be trying it on a 3071 setup soon ;-)

Braveheart

That looks ideal Mark......:thumbsup:

I bought this but it's about as much use as a chocolate fire guard because the angle to the block pipe is too much for such ashort distance. I'm just going to elongate the screw holes on the OE bracket.

ashills

what ed posted works perfect i have used it on 3 3071s now in with slight variations but people like shiny stuff that costs a bomb so ull probably ignore it ol

nitrosgti-r

oil return

How is this design connected to the turbo outlet? It doesnt show it in the pic. How is the stock pipe fabricated/cut??

Im thinking i might just cut the stock pipe so i have a straight pipe comming from it, ie, fabricate the 90 pipe, and then source a bit of pipe from the scrapper with a 90 bend in and run it to the sump inlet.....

Fit pipe on the outlet pipe at turbo securely and then secure on sump inlet and then bolt the outlet on by the 2 bolts. Seems ok in theory??

ashills

the easiest way to do it rather than in that pic is what i did on my last and thats heat up the stock outlet pipe and bend virtually straight then elongate holes to fit new turbo

then u need a small bit of tube and a 90 degree 15mm fitting and i used what the call yorkshire fittings as they have a swage on the end to hold pipe well

the a 90 degree copper to iron fitting (male iron ) swapped with the original fitting in the block

and looks like this when done

doesnt go up hill etc

if this helps people make this a sticky someone as im not finding these pictures again lol

nitrosgti-r

today i have sorted this bloody pipe......

this is the clearance i had to play with...

So i cut the oem pipe and welded it back on.......

I went to the scrapper and found a nice little pipe from a newer Mondeo (i didnt get the exact reg), the rocker cover breather pipe that goes back into the air box :D

Heres the finished RESULT..... Just goes to show to that perseverance is the key.

Last edited:

Shaun

Here's mine

Basically cut the standard pipe off the flange,re-welded it at a different angle and added a small straight section :thumbsup:

MORF114

How long does yout turbo spin for when you shut off mine used to spin for about 5-10 seconds now i removed the turbo last week and got it all up and running again and now it spins for ages after shut off just wondering whether my oil return was slightly kinked or blocked or something??

or whether im just trying to find things wrong with my car so i can fix them. lol

nitrosgti-r

lol. Yeah i can hear mine spinning for quite a while after shutting it down. Not sure for how long exactly, maybe 30 seconds? Always has done. (3071)

vizi0n

Here's mine. Not so pretty, 2 45 degrees with a pipe in the middle to join them.

worked great so far, its been like that since 2009.