oil pressure

GTIR1000

went out in the r the other day to petrol station started it up oil pressure went up to six down to four then once warm when idling at 2 then all of a sudden it stred to drop to 1 when idiling didnt think much of it took it for spin round town gave it some a few times holding boost fine no smoke nothing then it stayed the same back to normal 2. then today just took her for a run got pretty warm and agin at idiling pressure stared to drop to one even a bit below at idling. yet i took her out between the first time of it doing it and today and she was fine what could this be

A

Az

Exactly the same as mine.

On advise here I did a oil and filter change (needed one anyway) but it still does it now, when she's warmed up.

When driving mines fine around 3-4, just when in traffic or stopped it drops below 2, sometimes 1.

I checked my oil dipstick and it full waaaaaaaay right up. Well above the full line. Not sure whether this would have anything to do with it though.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Below 3200 the manual says at least 0.98bar (14psi) so 1 or 2 bar is fine, start worrying if you still have that above 3200rpm where it should be something like 3.5-4.5bar.

geetee

Should I worry that when cold mine is just over 8.

When fully warm and cruising at 70 - 80 mph is just under 8.

At Idle is about 5 - 6.

Using Castrol RS 10W - 60.

Probably the gauge me thinks.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

geetee

tell me about it.... anything over 4K rpm.... just under 8.

I'm sure the gauge is lying, but oddly it makes me feel happy that I have so much oil pressure when everything else is going wrong around me :lol:

;)
GeeTee

A

Az

Fast Guy said:
Below 3200 the manual says at least 0.98bar (14psi) so 1 or 2 bar is fine, start worrying if you still have that above 3200rpm where it should be something like 3.5-4.5bar.
Ahh right thanks for the info :)

geetee 8) my girlfriend has just had a new headgasket in her 306XSi and the oil pressure is ALWAYS maxxed out :shock: :lol: Seems to run ok though :? :)

turblio

Most of Our sender units and gauges are 14 years old and they all seem to
play up mine reads 8 bar on start up sometimes runs at 5 on the motcrway sometimes at 3.75 mostly 2 at idle but the best way is to get a mechanical one plumbed in
Frank

A

Anonymous

had the same problem,change the sender and im sure it will be fine.......................Gaz

geetee

I don't care so much to be honest - I know what it reads now in various conditions, so I'll be able to see any drastic rise or fall which is the important thing.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

LOU ROB

The sender units on the gtir and the 300zx are crap :x I've had to change my sender unit 3 times in 2 years.
Like Fastguy said, if the pressure is crap over 3200 revs then its compression test time :lol:

GTIR1000

i went to work in the r this morning and every thing was fine the pressure was going up with revs and was dropping to 2 at idle then at the next set of lights it dropped to below one and was not risining above two two and a half even at quite high revs but then i got to work put the turbo timer on sat in my car two secs the pressure was below one then all of a sudden shot up to just above two again at idle what is going on

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
LOU ROB said:
Like Fastguy said, if the pressure is crap over 3200 revs then its compression test time :lol:
Compression test for low oil pressure? :shock: I'd be changing the sender first, checking with a mechanical pressure gauge second, worrying 3rd :wink: (Actually that's a lie, I've just ignored it for the last 11 months :oops: )

LOU ROB

the problem gtir1000 has would be more than likely to be the pressure sender unit ( the same symptoms happened to me twice ).
They can be pricey though, £65 from nissan :shock:

LOU ROB

Fast Guy said:
Compression test for low oil pressure? :shock: I'd be changing the sender first, checking with a mechanical pressure gauge second, worrying 3rd :wink: (Actually that's a lie, I've just ignored it for the last 11 months :oops: )
From my experience, i've had low oil pressure through 2 badly broken pistons. :eek:
The worst one I had was when I bottomed the car out on a back road, smacked the sump which bent the oil pick-up pipe, which caused the main bearings to die :oops:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Gotcha, I'd still be tempted to check it first with a mechanical gauge to confirm low pressure or not.
If your main bearings go, you'll hear it and know you have low oil pressure :cry:

GTIR1000

i just cant understand why it is ok sometimes and not others i have been told it could be the cold weather thanks for the help i will be doing an oil change at weekend the comp test see what i find cheers again