oil leaks

catchmeifyoucan01

ive almost had enough with my R now ive recently removed the oil pump and sump to reseal then cos they were leaking ive done that! and i changed the bottom pully because it was broken and changed the crank seal! on standard boost it is fine! but when i turn up the boost to 1 bar! it leaks from everywhere on the timing chain side of the engine! any ideas cos im almost going to quit???

catchmeifyoucan01

yeah the thing with that is it was rebuild with new rings ect less than a year ago by a mechining company and its only done 3k since and wouldnt it smoke if they were fooked??

R

riske

Hmm tricky. It could be the rocker cover gasket? But only leaking from that side.

catchmeifyoucan01

defently not the rocker gasket mate the oil leak is not that high and ive just replaced the rocker cover gasket!???

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Head gasket? I've heard you can fook the head gasket taking the oil pump cover out if you're not careful.

karl@sr20

leaking gaskets!? or pistonrings un blowing oil out breathers & gastkets:doh:uve got boost going into sump camcover oilpump/frontcover ect:shock:

geoff pine

Head gasket? I've heard you can fook the head gasket taking the oil pump cover out if you're not careful.
I'm having a similar problem and am starting to think its where it meets the head gasket as its coming from that front corner where i can not get at ! while the engine is running as i dont want to lose any fingers . Might be time to buy another engine .

P

pulsarboby

that is one mare of a job to do so dont get to disheartened.
when you remove the oil pump and refit it you need to pay extra special attention to where you apply the sealer!
where the top meets with the headgasket that must be well coated with good quality sealer or it will leak like a civ.

i generally run a bead of sealer around all pump edges (paying special attention to the top) and also make sure the corners are coated, then run another bead on block side of pump and leave for 10 minutes before joining them together.

now heres the good bit :lol:....do not start the car for 24hrs, if you do oil will force its way past the uncured sealant and youll have to do the whole shitty job all over again;-).

catchmeifyoucan01

thats the thing i did seal the oil pump propley! and the bit where it joins the head gasket as well and left it for nearly a day! and i used mitsubishi engine sealer which is very good stuff 60 qiud for a tube! and it was fine for 50 miles on standard boost. But the second i turn it up to 1 bar! it just leaks from every seal (sump/oil pump/bottom pully seal!) it is like the boost is getting into the oil.

catchmeifyoucan01

update! ive cleaned it all off! it leaks from the sump seal when its really hot and the behind the bottom pully and ive already replaced the seal

catchmeifyoucan01

the weirod thing is it only leaks when the engine is really hot! if ive been driving it hard for a while!
im running 10/40 oil! dont know wheather its worth running thicker oil! and a oil cooler??