Oil cannister from turbo oil feed...?

retepetsir

I'm slowly working out what aftermarket parts have been fitted to my Pulsar by previous owners, and removing the rubbish which isn't needed.

There's one part which I can't figure out, but it almost looks like an upside down gas cannister, about 8" high.

It comes off of a T-piece inline with some braided hose that seems to come from the turbo then go round the back of the engine. I'm guessing this is the oil feed to the turbo? This connection seems to hang down quite low to the ground which is a little worrying.

Any idea what the canister is for? It's pretty weighty (not sure if it's full of oil) and has just one pipe going to it, so its not a relocated oil filter. It's currently wedged between the battery and headlight.

I have a photo which I can post later as well.

I don't want to remove it until I can work out what needs to be done with the braided hosing, or know what its for.

Learning something new every day ;-) :lol:.

Thanks!

dotalot

No idea, strange one, the oil feed to the turbo usually comes from the front of the block if I remember correctly.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Have you got any other shots? It does seem a bit odd; the turbo is lubricated from the engine, so it doesn't need it's own container... If it was a stand-alone unit, I'd guess one of those auto-lubrication units you can fit to big plant equipment. However, I can't think of any reason that would be T-d into the oil feed to the turbo... or even if it's still doing what it was originally intended to.

retepetsir

Here's another photo, although I haven't got a photo of the braided connection underneath although I'm sure one side goes to the turbo:

Also, what is the small sensor marked with the blue ring? It was hanging loose when I removed the radiator but I'm not sure what it's for, unless its ambient temperature or similar? Only 2 wires leading to it.

Thanks

retepetsir

Ok, why is a catch can plumbed into the oil feed to/from the turbo then? I would have thought I'd have a catch can in place of the cam cover breather hose to induction link rather than here?

I'm quite tempted to take it off, just need to work out how to sort the hosing out that it connects to.

Odd!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It looks like an empty propane cylinder rather than a catch can to me (upside down and a bit battered obviously):

... but that still doesn't explain why it's T-d into you turbo oil feed.

retepetsir

I was starting to think that it was an turbo oil feed filter, but that should be in-line not connected via a t-connector...

retepetsir

The person I got the Pulsar from didn't change anything on the car. Could try going back before that if I have the details though.

It looks pretty old/used so could have been attached when originally imported.

Strange :)

retepetsir

No its not my old pulsar. The number is half way down the block in line with the 3cyclinder exhaust port.
I'll have a look this weekend. Why do you ask?

boost - I'm planning on removing it when I service the car this weekend, just need to work out the best way of doing so. :doh:

ZED_not_zee

relax guys lol it looks like an oil accumulator set up... the tank fills with oil and pressurizes from the t connection.. if there's a sudden drop in oil pressure it releases the oil to even the things out.. Ive got one ready to fit on my car. when you turn the engine off the pressure stays,,, mine has a valve to manually release the pressure. This is handy just before a cold start because you can release the pressure to pre oil the motor before cranking :D

Here's the one ive got.. the 1.5 quart model:

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=13600

retepetsir

Is it actually needed though? It seems a bit ott for my needs, and also looks quite old which could mean its dirty inside.

Interesting concept though.

ZED_not_zee

no its not actually needed... just like a catch can or an external oil cooler there bonus items that are good for track days etc... ... I still don't know why the feed line is coming form the back of the motor... unless it's taped right at the oil filter..

I would def check to see if there's a 54C marking as well thats kinda what I was thinking at first..

retepetsir

I'll be under the car at the weekend to check exactly where it goes. I've only removed the radiator so far and done nothing else so will check soon!

What is this 54c business?