number plate sizes

Godzilla

does anyone have pics or know what is the smallest legal size front plate you can have , i have a motorbike size square one on the front but it covers thepassenger side bumper vent/fog light , can you get one smaller that fits above the vent but isnt huge or am i going to get pulled all the time for anything smaller,

Godzilla

the one he has side mounted on the first pic is what i want , but reading it all seems like its just waiting to be pulled by the law , and i dont want to be giving them a reason to pull me

If you can prove that there is restricted space for displaying a plate verses a standard UK car (which we can) then you can shrink the font down to a motorbike legal size, but the font must still be approved by the DooVLA. You can have 44mm x 64mm letters, 11mm round the outside, 10mm font stroke, 10mm between digits, 30mm between groups if displayed in a straight line. This is legal for a motorcycle and for an imported car with the correct font.

The information can be found in the import section (page 3) this PDF ( <-- clicky)

Have a copy of this PDF if you get stopped and tell the rozzers to fuck 'emselves.

Last edited:

geoff pine

This comes up now and then you would think that to sell the UK version here and in Europe it would be EU approved and removing the best part of the front bumper is no excuse . The problem you will have is that with the new number plate reading technology there just going to tighten up on dodge fonts and plate sizes . there is no way that bike plates are legal for road cars the day that some on goes to court to fight the police over bike plates on a car and wins i will believe it .I also think that to make a set of bike plates for a car may now be illegal as they would need the registration documents be for they make the plates and it would be obvious its for a car but then again i could be talking out of my @rse :lol:

Garef

This was my old plate.

I then had it changed to this.

I got pulled over one night with the smaller plate, it had motorcycle letters on it, and they were only spaced 5mm, I was going to get fined but seeing as it was the first day I had driven the car they let it slide and gave me 30 days to change it. I got my new plate made following the guidelines on the dvla site. I got pulled over one day because of the size of it, however, I now carry the printout from the DVLA in my car, the same one that mojor sarcasm put up a link for. I showed it to the police, they measured up the plate and they said it was fine. The letters are still motorcycle size, but they are now spaced 10mm apart, although the plate is slightly larger, it was not the height, it was the width, it hardly makes a difference as you can see from the pics. Hope that helps.

Here's the dvla website link again just incase -http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/displayofnumberplates.pdf

Last edited:

Godzilla

yeah it doesnt really look much bigger , just need to find somewere i can get em made as halfords are no good and know nothing

This comes up now and then you would think that to sell the UK version here and in Europe it would be EU approved and removing the best part of the front bumper is no excuse . The problem you will have is that with the new number plate reading technology there just going to tighten up on dodge fonts and plate sizes . there is no way that bike plates are legal for road cars the day that some on goes to court to fight the police over bike plates on a car and wins i will believe it .I also think that to make a set of bike plates for a car may now be illegal as they would need the registration documents be for they make the plates and it would be obvious its for a car but then again i could be talking out of my @rse :lol:
I have been pulled a few times by the rozzers and have successfully argued my case for having motorcycle-sized digits. When you have a DooVLA approved document in your mitten that states you're legal, they tend to back off. Too much hassle for them to argue with you, especially if you don't give them a bunch of attitude whilst explaining the finer points of registration plate display law.

Japanese grey imports have a restricted space due to the size of a Japanese numberplate, not because someone has ripped the front bumper apart for a front-mount. If you tried arguing from this perspective, they'd likely tell you to get lost.

geoff pine

I have been pulled a few times by the rozzers and have successfully argued my case for having motorcycle-sized digits. When you have a DooVLA approved document in your mitten that states you're legal, they tend to back off. Too much hassle for them to argue with you, especially if you don't give them a bunch of attitude whilst explaining the finer points of registration plate display law.

Japanese grey imports have a restricted space due to the size of a Japanese numberplate, not because someone has ripped the front bumper apart for a front-mount. If you tried arguing from this perspective, they'd likely tell you to get lost.
This is something i will follow up as i was using the squarish one ! the one the importer fitted which had the smaller letters . I then cut that down then i noticed that because i have cut off the kite mark it makes it illegal.