Not boosting more than 9PSI

buffalobilla

the R doesnt boost more than 9PSI unless i take off the vacum pipe from the inlet mainfold or the actuator, then i get unlimited boost :lol:
ive changed all the vacun pipes incase there were any blockages, the only thing it could have been is the bleed valve but i disconnected it and drove with the hoses loose and it still didnt boost more than 9PSI.
could it be the actuator? but i thought it wouldnt boost at all if it were :roll:
HELP!!!!!!!!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
9-10psi is standard factory boost. What are you supposed to be boosting too?

If you were rinning more boost, but now you can't try refitting the bleed valve :wink:

buffalobilla

im supposed to be running 15PSI
ive refitted the bleed valve bout 6 times now :x
ive even disconnected it and still only get 9PSI
could it be the T-piece on the pipework just after the actuator?
and is the T-piece supposed to have one of the outlets slightly bent? :?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
buffalobilla said:
and is the T-piece supposed to have one of the outlets slightly bent? :?
The factory metal one? I'm sure mine was at a funny angle.
Are you replacing the t piece for the bleed valve? If not where are you putting it?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Do you have a picture or link to one of the bleed valve you're using?
I have a Dawes device which is connected in place of the t-piece it bleed through the body. It sound like yours is just being bypassed in the location it's in, although depending how it works, it should work there :?

buffalobilla

it was working there fine for ages, used to boost well now im just lost :?
need to get it to at least 15PSI by this sunday (santa pod) :shock:

G

GartracS2

Bleed valves are absolutely shite mate you need to get that off. What fuelling mods have you done to safeguard against so much boost?

G

GartracS2

By the way if you run with a broken actuator (rare never seen one break yet in 12 years) then you would have overboost and overspeed your turbo at about 30 psi lol.

Just put a profec B on ,mate it will save you lots of hassle in the long run, steady boost, no spiking etc.
There about 90 pounds now going rate used ;)

buffalobilla

well im lookin to get a fuel pump very soon.
i just want 12PSI rite now as im sure the stock fuel pump will take it just or a short while.
dont know what the prob is, any other suggestions? :?

A

AJ4

heres a very long shot... I read a post years ago about the same problem, it turned out one of the pipes from the plenum to the actuator is supposed to have a resticter in it, a small metal tube with a hole drilled in it to limit the airflow and hence allow more boost (0.65 bar instead of 0.5 ? ). This pipe had been taken off and replaced because it had perished, and replaced with a normal pipe with no restricter. So now the actuator was seeing full manifold pressure and moving the actuator too soon, ie low boost.

If you have fitted a bleed valve, did you take this pipe off and replace it with the one that came with the valve ?

G

GartracS2

The brass ferrel your on about, it would make a scrap of difference mate I experimented with it with Ian at Hiteq 3 months ago, its just there to help prevent compressor stall it makes the turbo pick up slightly and when you change to a profec or blitz dual sbc it isn needed and becomes redundant anyhow.

If you really want to sort it I will do it for 25 pounds. I live in Wigan, Manchester, M6 J23 North.

I have Consult 2 Official Nissan Test Tool.
Plus 10 years experience.
Dont ask these donkeys on here lol ;)
Just joking

A

AJ4

lol, nutter :D

I think it was Ray ( with the pink 'R ? ) that had problems because of that restricter. Surely if he just has a straight pipe from the plenum to the actuator without that resticter then its only going to boost up to the actuator base pressure ?

I

Ian.H

GartracS2 , whatever,
If you are going to come across on this forum as the master of all things Nissan , can you please leave me out of your posts .
For the record I have not experimented with you with the brass ferrel ever , you once called in asking why your car had low boost , and I found a used restrictor in my box to give to you , thats it !!
Also as you have so much experience , pehaps you would like to explain how the restrictor prevents compressor stall.

Ian
Hiteq Performance