Non standard ECU?

Just removed my ECU because ive upgraded to a Mines one (bloody good bit of kit!), however my standard ECU doesnt look too standard -

Upon removing it i noticed it had these wires coming out the back and the adjusting screw had blatently been tampered with:

And so i thought id open it up and it has this extra board inside:

After doing a search i believe this to be a 'daughterboard', however the R was only ever putting out standard power - 236bhp@0.65bar and 277bhp@0.9bar?? Maybe the daughterboard only works if 12v is given to those extra wires :?

Whats the opinion on here? Anybody seen a board like that before?

Dan

PaulB

Hmmm, interesting that one.

The thing is, for the daughterboard to work, you need to re-solder a jumper on the board, to either work the std chip, or the one on the daughterboard, not both.

I think those wires are probably for a incar map adjuster, like from a big boost map to a standard map, and perhaps it always been set on standard as youve never noticed any difference.

What do you mean when you say re-solder a jumper on the board? I can open it back up and take a look to see if other parts of the standard board look tampered with..

Jonesy

I've seen one like that, and it had a switch on the wires coming from the daughterboard, when the switch was on you could notice a difference in the running of the car, so it was like it was switching between standard ecu and daughter board.
The jumper is on the board in the standard ecu, on the rear i think, you swap it from j1 to j2 i think cant really remember though.
You should be able to tell if its been moved though, its a component 1mm or 2 in size.

PaulB

yup thats right, a little jumper is unsoldered from JM1 and resoldered on JM2, this makes the ECU read from daughterboard, its hard to spot though.

You could still use this ECU, just get a NIStune board and get it tuned, thats the way im going to get it done.

My daughterboard is a little different to yours in that its plugged in to a header and doesnt have a plug with wires like yours.

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

I took the bottom of the ECU off to look for this jumper and it looks like theres been a small explosion from one component on there lol. Lots of white powder surrounding a brown mess :lol: ECU worked perfectly fine up until removing it earlier today though..

Still cant see this jumper, but i'll bet its wired for standard ECU as, like i said before, the cars always run at standard power. It would be very interesting to read the daughterboard chips and see exactly what they do because as far as i know, until i got the R it was completely standard bar an exhaust & filter, and even those were added in the UK. Maybe the crazy Japs just had a better map for standard boost :? :der:

jjs

hi had one fitted to my standard ecu it is a board to run at 1 bar, common in japan

Ah right. How does it work then?

When the car came to me, it had standard fuel pump & standard boost solenoid, so it probably wasnt too safe when that little board was turned on!

Fusion Ed

That's a dual map daughter board. The wires just change from one map to another. If you really want to know what's on there bring it to me and Ill download the maps.

paz

:lol: I love the way that these cars each have their own secrets. Neither myself nor the owner before me had any idea about that!

Well its currently back in the R - after one day of running a Mines ECU, my car decided it didnt like it and started running really poorly, very hesitant and slow and drinking the fuel. Popped the 'standard' ECU back in and its fine again :?

Maybe while its in I should join those wires, see if it activates the daughterboard :twisted:

M

micra_pete

ed, have you seen this sort of board before? new one on me! Im not sure what those connections are for

Fusion Ed

Ive not seen this actual one. Its a bit on the large side and the ttl logic has had its numbers scratched off lol.