No fuel pressure

OleH

I've relocated the battery to the boot.

Now when I try to start the engine I don't get any fuel pressure.
Previously the engine started easy after two maybe 3 cranks.
The starter runs smoothly, everything appears to be as before. I just don't get any fuel pressure.

Info:
I have a Walbro uprated fuel pump fitted
LINK engine management system
I've changed the fuse underneath the steering wheel (although the old one was OK)
I changed the relay just after the pump

Is there another fuse or relay for the fuel pump? I've looked in the workshop manual but could not find anything

Any tips for how I can troubleshoot further?

Gtirchris

It could be a number of things mate, have you disturbed the fuel pump wiring when you re-located the battery?, has your immobiliser circuit on your alarm system thrown a wobbler and is now not switching off?. Check to see if you are getting power and a good earth to the pump at the plug whilst cranking mate, as it might just be as simple as the pump is dead.

OleH

It could be a number of things mate, have you disturbed the fuel pump wiring when you re-located the battery?, has your immobiliser circuit on your alarm system thrown a wobbler and is now not switching off?. Check to see if you are getting power and a good earth to the pump at the plug whilst cranking mate, as it might just be as simple as the pump is dead.
I have looked over the wires, but I'll have a check with the multimeter and see if I can find a broken wire.
I don't have a car alarm.

Thanks for the tip, anything is appreciated as I'm a bit lost just now with this issue!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is the battery near the fuel tank? You haven't disturbed the wiring around there have you?

OleH

Is the battery near the fuel tank? You haven't disturbed the wiring around there have you?
The battery is located in the left corner in the boot. I haven't touched any of the wiring, all I've done is route a new power cable for the battery.
The fuel pump is getting power from the battery with a relay in between, but I haven't touched this at all. As mentioned I changed the relay, so I don't think it is that.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Where did you take the power for the relay originally? Is it possible it's somewhere that no-longer gets power now the battery is in the boot?

OleH

I used to have a subwoofer in the back with power coming from the battery in the front. On this I had a distribution block, so the fuel pump was getting power from this.

I turned on the ignition yesterday, and I thought I heard clicking in the relay for the fuel pump.

Questions:
Are there any relays in the engine compartment that has anything to do with the fuel pump to do?
When turning on the ignition; should the fuel pump start? Or does it only start when you crank the engine?

I'm thinking the way forward is:
1: take off fuel hose that goes on the fuel rail, and see if fuel comes out when i crank the engine
2: double check the fuse under the steering wheel
3: check with multimeter that the fuel pump is getting power when starting

Please continue with the feedback, all brainstorming is good :-D