No Electricity

Tim

Other than the battery which i'll be testing in the next 10 minutes, can anyone suggest anything that might wipe out the cars electrics.

It was fine when I last used it on Monday, now I have no power what so ever, or lights, or anything?

Suggestions?

Tim

Was the battery .. jumped started and it fired into life, then left it running, went to the gym and it started after i'd been in there for an hour. We'll see what it's like in the morning, pretty new battery as well it would be strange if that had failed.

I'm not convinced I had turned all the lights off, I guess tomorrow morning will be the test.

bracpan

As Red said check nothing is on, disconect the main lead and see if there is much sparking (when engine off). If there is something is draining it.
I have known new batteries fail, and also batteries seem to fail very quickly these days, one day good next dead,,,,best thing to do is have it tested, its a quick and easy thing to do in any garage or motor factors. I also like to fit a cut off switch as this stops any drain,,,but is not good with alarms..lol
Good luck
Phil

Tim

Cheers chaps, the battery is under warranty so if it is bad i'll get it replaced without too much hassle. I stripped a lot of the non essentials out of the interior wiring loom this time last year and haven't had a problem with it up until now.

I accidentally hit a rather large puddle on the nearside the other day which is where the battery relocation stuff is, I wonder if that has got wet and caused problems? All the electrics worked fine once the car had started, so I hope whatever it was has cleared.

Fingers crossed for it to work in the morning!

Tim

Dead, completely dead this morning.

I've had to carry the battery 2 miles into work in order to have it replaced. Whilst I understand what is causing the problem i'm just going to disconnect the main live feed when I have to leave it for any length of time.

Apart from check for sparks when fitting the live feed to the battery, is there a more scientific way of checking for drains?

Tim

Armed with a multi meter and a friend i'll be checking over the electrics this evening. I was supposed to be fixing a friends 205, I guess mine will have to take priority as I need it over the weekend, love these cars they are awesome! ;)

From what i've read, if I read amperage in series from earth lead to post it should tell me if there is a drain. If that test results in a drain, I then check each and every fuse, fun times a head.

Tim

Once i had lugged the battery up a 2 mile hill I connected it up and ran the test, this showed that something was pulling 3 amps of current from the battery with nothing switched on, worrying. I had a poke around the engine bay and found that some the plugs that swing loose in there were quite wet. I didn't have much time, so connected everything back up and headed to a friends lockup to work on a 205.

When I came to drive home I had another poke under the bonnet and noticed that all the connections had dried up, I guess from heat soak and the fact that the temperature is relatively high here. Drove home and then checked for a drain once more and got nothing at all, well 0.01 amps. As I said before there are hardly any electrics inside the car, no clock, no stereo, etc, etc so I wouldn't expect much.

I'm going to keep a close eye on it over the next day or so and see if it changes.

Fingers crossed it has been solved.

Tim

Just been and checked to see if it's draining current this morning and got nothing again. Look's like we are good to go then, I think I'll spend the weekend insulating anything that looks like it might cause problems should it get wet.

No'mo puddles!