no compression

stifler1603

will driving my car hard today i noticed it started to smoke alot blue smoke when i stopped the car start sounding like a wrx missing alot the when i shut off the engine and tried to restart it it won't start it would just swing over like it has no compression. what does this mean? and what would cause this?

stifler1603

no not yet but when i pull out the dip stick it pushes out oil. and puffs smoke through the breathe pipe into the catch can. so i just pushed it into the garage for now

red reading

Piston or pistons more likely, what they call catastrophic failure or as I prefer "proper fucked!", will need to find out why now.

stifler1603

just finished doing a compression test and all 4 cylinders have low compression. did a dry test first then poured some oil in each spark plug hole and let it soak for a while. then the compression raised up to around 100 on all four cylinders so I poured more oil into them and going to let it soak over night and see if the rings free up some more. or if they don't ill need a new set of cp pistons

MarkTurbo

If putting oil in the cylinders only got the compression test upto 100psi nothing you do is going to make that any better ;-)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If all 4 have gone together could it be something to do with the timing chain? Jumped a tooth or 2 for example? Although I don't think that would make it smoke.

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
If all 4 have gone together could it be something to do with the timing chain? Jumped a tooth or 2 for example? Although I don't think that would make it smoke.
holes from valve beating on the crowns could cause it, I am thinking more like fuel system issue (pump not providing enough pressure) and running lean or ign issue or the like

stifler1603

the car has been running rich for a while. so i was going to change the oil the very same day all this happened as it looked black thin and runny . the weather here is always the same hot and sunny. last mapped in 2011 and was only running 1.2bar of boost. i have in a walbro 255 fuel pump and changed the adjustable fuel pressure regulator back to the standard fuel pressure regulator. i have in a aem wideband and the car fluctuates around 13.5- 14.5 at idle but once the car is driving will go between 10.5 - 11.5. which in my mind is too rich. so in my mind the large amount of fuel been dumped into the engine is bypassing the rings and thinning out the oil. which in turn breaks down the viscosity of the oil so it doesn't lubricate the rings and cylinders as it should. i spun bearings like this in 2009. going to open the engine on saturday so i will let u guys know what my findings are.my pistons are cp forged pistons with compression of 8.5:1

stifler1603

update i have pulled the engine apart and found that the piston rings have failed, they look like they have been welded into the pistons lol and the block is ok though oh well back to the drawing board

red reading

Pictures please, sounds like detonation or similar that has caused the pistons to melt....seriously excessive combustion chamber temperatures .