nightmare at brandshatch

P

pulsarboby

What pressures were you using with those tyres?

I know slicks can be very fussy about their pressures and if too much then they come apart like what been happening?

Also LMAO @ Claire "bye bye bobby" :lol: :lol:

yes the girl does get a little excited:lol::lol:

tbh andy i never had time or bothered to check the tyre pressures, i was more concerned with the engine and oil dripping probs lol.
but from what i can remember when they were fitted i asked them to put 40psi in them but guessed they would have gone down a bit over a period of being stored.
think the oil on them never helped them much either:lol:
i definately wont be getting those again, gonna go back to my original supplier, think i got 3 trackdays out of those before they were finally down to the wire.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
but from what i can remember when they were fitted i asked them to put 40psi
Yikes!!!

Put around 25psi in them, slicks have a very hard sidewall so there is no need to have that much pressure in them.

At 40psi its no wonder they were coming apart, you'd be looking over 50psi easy, when hot :shock:

I've now backed down my pressures for track use and use tyres that have hard sidewalls for stability :thumb:

P

pulsarboby

what tyres you running then andy?
next time il give that a try at those pressures to see what she handles like but have to say its the first time theyve peeled apart like that.

MarkTurbo

Yikes!!!

Put around 25psi in them, slicks have a very hard sidewall so there is no need to have that much pressure in them.

At 40psi its no wonder they were coming apart, you'd be looking over 50psi easy, when hot :shock:
I was just thinking that...........40 psi cold :shock:

I used my pirelli tarmac slicks for 2 15min sessions at castle combe the other day and they were at 26psi front and 22psi rear cold which was spot on ;-)

P

pulsarboby

someone who i know who used to race told me this a few years ago about increasing the tyre pressures but guess he may be wrong lol
il try what you both have suggested next time out in my megabusa and if i crash and burn then the guilt will lay firmly at your doorsteps:lol::lol:

olliecast

for sprinting i run about 28 front and 25 back. Some of the clio 182 lads go lower aswell.

This is with dunlop sport 9000`s too, so not exactly a flat out performance tyre.

40 does seem alot mate, like andy says, it`ll increase alot after a corner or too aswell :)

P

pulsarboby

yes you all could well be right, il try next time out and drop pressures to 28 all round and see what happens.

on some bends the car is inclined to kind of skip on hard cornering, which as youve all said could well be tyre pressures

RU55 GTR

for sprinting i run about 28 front and 25 back. Some of the clio 182 lads go lower aswell.

This is with dunlop sport 9000`s too, so not exactly a flat out performance tyre.

40 does seem alot mate, like andy says, it`ll increase alot after a corner or too aswell :)
Ollie is that a good idea to run different pressures front to back? Being all-wheel-drive, I'd expect the same across the lot, so not to put undue stresses on transmission?! I appreciate that weight distribution may have a bearing on it though.

To add me penith-worth, I ran 28psi all-round on my last time at Castle Combe when using road tyres. She gripped rather well.

Looking forward to seeing the Megabusa Bob, but also dissappointed that the R won't be coming! :(

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
what tyres you running then andy?
next time il give that a try at those pressures to see what she handles like but have to say its the first time theyve peeled apart like that.
I've used Dunlop’s in the past.

On road tyres with softer sidewalls I've have higher pressures in like 34/36psi so I am not alone with high pressures, but since using tyres with harder side wall and lowering the psi, I've found the car works better.

More testing is needed, but it feels better :thumb: