nightmare at brandshatch

P

pulsarboby

well after my engine lashup on my car and fitting a mixture of secondhand pistons and rings as well as trying to hone the marks out of the bores, i had my trackday at brands booked today:lol:

managed to try and run car in for just over 100 miles (not a lot) before letting loose on track.
the car was smoking before the trackday and compression on no 3 cylinder was under 100psi whilst no's 1,3,4 were over 150psi so it sounded like a scooby:roll: but what the hell i paid for it so was gonna give it my best shot on 3 cylinders:lol:

anyways on the first session out i got black flagged as i was leaving a smokescreen behind me plus 3 caterhams had complained because when i overtook them i left an oily deposit on there windscreen (but think they were just pissed off as they got overtaken by a broken pulsar lol)

i told the marshalls that the hotter the car got then the smoke would die out as the piston expanded (which it did for a while)
i could only stay out for a few laps as i had to empty the oil catch tank which was filling up very quickly) so in the finist i put the catch tank in a carrier bag to catch all the oil after it had filled up:lol::lol: this worked for a while longer
hers my botch job super bag:lol:

but just when things were starting to look rosey a lump of my tyre (slick) came flying off so once again i was pitted and had to put the road wheels back on just before lunch.

i knew my days or should i say sessions were coming to an end as the smoke was getting even worse so this time i put my phone / camera in the car and taped it in to try get some inboard footage as i knew it was gonna be my last time out before they kicked me off lol
and here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52dbi-_S46I

the car was only running on 3 cylinders in this footage and at 1.2 bar, just as im in pursuit of the 2 caterhams the mini got in the way and out came a board with PIT NOW in big lettering so that was it game and day over:cry:
fair play to the marshals though they gave me chance after chance so i could stay on track, but in the finish for safety sake they could allow no more

and last of all what about this for overkill:shock::lol::lol:

the guy was crap, i was going round 6 secs a lap quicker than him with 3 pistons.... if your gonna bring an arctic with loads of electronic gizzmos etc then youve got to be able to drive the thing properly:roll: i would have been embarrassed, they were all kitted out in designer race suits etc etc walking round like they owned the place:lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

nimhbk

bob my car aint that quick on 4 cylinders,if i could get that out of mine i would not mind blowing the engine , great footage

P

pulsarboby

its certainly dead now:sad:!

just goes to show what a good map can do though, when the car was at cadwell last time it was much much quicker up untill i stupidly turned the gain to 90% on boost controller thinking it was .9 bar:der: thats what fried the pistons as it spiked at 1.8 bar.

il build another good engine now with the mods i had in mind regarding water jacket etc, hopefully then i should have a bulletproof and quick engine.
should be all up and ready by the time the gtiroc trackday at oulton park comes up, thats assuming ive not killed myself in the megabusa of course:lol: il be using that whilst my R is undergoing surgery.

antgtir

Look like nice smooth laps mate, approx 1 minute lap times. How long is the circuit out of interest?

Look forward to meeting up at the OC trackday.

Ant.

P

pulsarboby

lap times were nothing to write home about tbh, quickest today was 58 secs but have done 59 in the wet before, but guess thats not bad with one plug coated in oil:-D.
couldnt go that quick around the bends as tyres were covered in oil from when my plastic bag catchcan burst:lol:, plus there ropey old road tyres also
the underside of car is absolutely coated in oil.

yes im looking forward to the oc trackday, will be all rebuilt again by then and raring to go.

GTiR-Aholic

That was an amazing footage... Did you use a phone holder in reverse to mount it?

A shame about 1 cylinder failing on you... it sounded really nice and looked fooking QUICK lol.

Tim

Are those tarmac rally stage tyres??

As you can see, they don't cope very well with trackday type heat haha!

jamesgtir

loving the footage. spool up time on your car looks rapid.
top driving just ashame the caterham drivers carnt take getting beaten by a old sunny. ha ha
top work

RU55 GTR

Sorry that she blew Bob, but we were pretty-much expecting it?! Good try and the emergency bodge though, just need to use higher quality supermarket carrier bags! I here Morrisons do a good one!! LOL

I don't imagine she'll be ready for Curborough then?! You may just have to drop a standard lump in if not?

She looked good on video though bud! You weren't hanging about! People take some interesting lines through the corners don't they?! The S2000 being abit 'original', as was the super-slow mini.

Take it easy & catch-up with you soon bud!

Trip

Great footage. I love that chirping/turkey sound the engine does. was it the wastegate or BOV ?

How did you find the spool up times of your turbo ?

olliecast

Great footage. I love that chirping/turkey sound the engine does. was it the wastegate or BOV ?

How did you find the spool up times of your turbo ?
May be an ssqv mate. Mine sounds the same.

Bob, are you running a 2871r?

P

pulsarboby

yes turbos a 2871, i decided to change to this as i thought the 3071 was a bit too laggy, but believe me when this cars running right it is immensely quick at 1.5 bar. theres no need for more power on a trackday, it all comes doewn to the mapping and i must say that matt has done an excellent job with it:-D hes managed to put what i wanted into practice whivh is a first.
it was at low setting (1.2) on track as i was trying to preserve the engine to last the day, but you can hear when its ticking over on start up and coasting back into pits that shes only running on 3 but when the engine temps pick up it was running on 4 at times as heat expanded piston and burnt oil off the plug.

i took the plugs out today and no 3 was dripping with oil lol compression on that cylinder was down to 70psi but the other 3 were still ok at 150 psi so shame really that my lashup never worked on no 3 but hey shit happens as they say, at least i got half the day and pissed off a few caterham and bmw drivers!

on a good note though i can still use this engine, just gonna get it bored out to 87mm and fit either a set of hks or cp pistons.
but whilst its stripped down im gonna carry out all the mods i was talking about in another thread then hopefully the engine should be trouble free (i live in hope)

russ....as i said earlier i doubt whether car will be ready for curborough but you never know!!!
if not il take the megabusa as that will give me a chance to learn how to control that beasty properly:lol:

tim....those tyres were full on cut slicks, tbh im not that happy with them as the rear 2 are now down to thread and the rubbers all peeling off the fronts aswell, only got to use them for 1 session then bits were falling off them and i got black flagged again:doh:then had to put my crap road tyres back on.
and i promise not to coat your screen in oil at oulton park:-D if i do then you can bash me with a wet cod:lol::lol:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
tim....those tyres were full on cut slicks, tbh im not that happy with them as the rear 2 are now down to thread and the rubbers all peeling off the fronts aswell, only got to use them for 1 session then bits were falling off them and i got black flagged again:doh:then had to put my crap road tyres back on.
What pressures were you using with those tyres?

I know slicks can be very fussy about their pressures and if too much then they come apart like what been happening?

Also LMAO @ Claire "bye bye bobby" :lol: :lol: