need to deceide what brakes to get please help!

S

samellio

On a serious note i was just being paranoid about the lack of contact. Sorry for being so cynical but i couldn't help but worry..

Progress:

Got a phone from Ian(godspeed) yesterday morning to explain why he hadn't contacted me and today recieved my brakes-NICE -thanks:wink: :D
BUUUUT they don't fit under my wheels :cry: - Shat..
Really gutted :cry: - back to square 1 :cry:

FCKECIT! the hot hatch festival at knockhill is coming up and it looks like i'll be missing it :cry: :cry:

Sam

S

samellio

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Got another call from Ian@Godspeed this morning as he checks the forums (that's what you call service- and what a nice guy :wink: ).. I put the callipers on wrong so hopefully my wheels will fit afterall :wink: :wink: :D -we've got another 5mm to play with :wink:
Going to check tonight so will keep you posted..
If they still don't fit there's allways the option of spacers or going to a smaller disc but fingers crossed they're gonna fit :D
Cheers,
Sam

S

samellio

Ok,
It's been a while.....(and 2 more track days with standard brakes :lol: )
Basically the brakes won't fit so Ian has said he will make me a set that's 295mm retaining the same brembo callipers.. Hopefully these will fit :wink:
He said he would arrange to have the old discs collected once i had received the smaller ones and i'd have them by the middle of this week..but no discs and brackets :cry: :cry:

Ian i can imagine a man with your talent is so busy but why not return my calls?? -not having a go but you told me i'd have them within a day or two when i spoke to you on monday. I've booked my car in now and have to cancel at late notice which is a pain for the garage :x
Thanks,
Sam

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
samellio said:
Ian (the owner) really seems to know his stuff and has gauranteed that i'll get his 308mm 4 pot brembo kit under my 15"compo mo wheels. He used to run a rally nova with the same kit/wheels :wink: .

Sam
The only thing there is the Novas wheels should have a 49mm offset which gives it more clearance from the caliper, we use a 40mm offset (from the factory) so the wheel will be nearer the caliper, but they probably will go as AP list some 300+mm kits for 15" wheels

S

str_motorsport

the tar-ox 298mm 6 pot conversione will fit under 15 wheels!!
i got them on my gti-r with speedline corse wheels.
this is the biggest size you can fit and very important it has a really big pad which is a big plus compared to the hi-spec which is too small in my opinio...

kyepan

on the AP topic

AP list a civic kit that uses the same caliper as the gti-r kit and they list it as fitting under 15" wheels.. not sure if the disc size is different or what but.. it seems plausable.

it might be worth phoning AP and asking them what will fit under your comps.

S

samellio

Spoke to Ian and got his email.
Fingers crossed i should have my brakes on wednesday..
Thanks Ian :wink:
Sam

S

samellio

Progress:
Ian (Godspeed) ended up making 3 sets of brakes for me as unfortunately the first 2 didn't fit. He paid all of the courrier charges and arranged to have my wheel sent down to him(piad for this as well- and had it back with a new kit in a week) so he could build the brakes into it.

Now i've got brakes that fit (with about 1mm clearance) and that are quite frankly just fookin amazing :D :D :D :D :D
Anyone that knows me would vouch for the abuse i give my car and after countless laps of knockhill they are still so powerfull that they would lock the wheels on command...
Pad wear is minimal- standard pads would have not only been useless but also dead and wouldn't last the day..
Getting a vibration through the steering after the trackday but i think this is most likely my tyres(they literally were melting :cry: ) as applying brakes does not affect it..(tyres are remould slicks with an e mark)
Well chuffed :wink: :D :D
Many thanks Ian,
Sam

J

J-GTi-R

Glad you got it sorted. TBH I was less and less happy with my Wilwoods the more I used them and only hope Gagge has more luck with a decent set of pads in them

MrMischief

Hey sam...

Glad to hear you finally got some decent stoppers :lol:

It'd be useful if you could post up the internal diameter of your wheel and also the diameter of the disc you're using...I've got big discs on the way, but maybe I could go bigger :?: :mrgreen:

Steve

S

samellio

Ian said the discs were around 293mm.. Next time i see you we could just try your wheel to see if they fit if you like- i'd probably get the measurements wrong :lol:
What have you got???

MrMischief

I just got the hispec big disc kit (285mm)...using this until funds allow new calipers...getting the car delimited on saturday and possibly getting the fuel pump & regulator at the same time. :D

Still looking for shocks (was looking at the GB for tein coilovers but don't like spending that dosh & getting no warranty - just in case)... may just go with teins from an official uk dealer.

Steve

S

samellio

Ahh very good :wink:
Let me know how you get on with your shock hunting..
Cheers