My continuing problems...

Johneh

Well.. My pulsar still isnt running properly, heres a list of whats been replaced / done to attempt to fix it so far.

Plugs (NGK irridium heat range 8 )
Leads
Coil
Dizzy Cap
Rotor Arm
Det Sensor Replaced (With engine in car.. wooo!!)
Reground MAF (Was reading 0.4 something.. now reads about 0.008v..)
Timing Set to 20 degrees spot on (Though before we did the det sensor.. maybe worth doing it again?!)

Basically.. the car is fine (if not a little slow..) when its cold and i mean first thing in the morning not been run in hours.. (Obviously i dont nail it when its cold but boost picks up fine, and she drives normally)

As soon as it starts to get anywhere near warm then the problems start to appear. It wont boost properly, feels like its severely holding back... and when it gets worse it just releases the pressure all the time (so i can hear the wastegate style noise from it. Im not running a dump valve yet, but i have an ssqv coming). Its also seriously overfueling.. 11 miles to about £5 of petrol!! 22 miles earlier got me 1/3 of the tank and that was at about 60/70mph on the a1.

When it gets hot and starts messing about the revs are really slow to go up too, they will go all the way up.. but its painfully slow to watch the rev counter! Also i've had it just stall a few times when i've come to a stop and tried to move off. When its stopped and is hot you have to really rev it then coax the clutch out to get it to start moving (basically launching it.. but really slow motion :roll: )

I think my friend managed to get the noise its making on video camera, so i'll get him to youtube it later so you can hear it (incase that will help!!).

Even on short runs the turbo will be glowing bright red, i realise this may be normal.. if its been thrashed but even when its not thrashed it'll do it!! The oil temperature on the standard gauge is also really high, its close to the dead centre of the gauge after driving for a bit.

Oh and how normal is oil inside the intercooler piping?! :doh:

Possible ideas as to what could be wrong are:
MAF
Actuator
Crank Angle sensor - new distributor then?!

I dont know which of those (if any) it would be, and i dont really have the money to keep throwing at it hoping i'll get it eventually, if someone has a definete answer then that'd be amazing!! But please if you have any really good ideas as to what is wrong then please tell me.

Oh and fault code check shows 5-5 :doh:

P

pulsarboby

it sounds to me as though the prob lies with your turbo shaft seizing when hot!
this will obviously cause car to run rich and chew up fuel, is it a rollerbearing turbo?
it will also cause lack of power for obvious reasons, and could be the reason that you have oil in intercooler piping! and not picking up revs, and stalling due to overfuelling;-)
really does sound like the turbos had its day!

Johneh

Woo :) Thats what i wanted to hear hehe.. :(

Car is standard apart from apexi induction kit and tanabe exhaust system. So its a standard turbo. It still makes boost though ?! Just doesnt actually use it, seems to keep constantly dumping.

P

pulsarboby

does it boost to near 0.7 when hot?
remove the actuator vacuum when hot then see what happens!

Johneh

Errrm off the top of my head in not 100% sure if it does.. I'll have to get it checked out tomorrow and let you know about what the actuator vacuum does too. (Tho i assume that means i'll be running unlimited boost?! So i'll take it easy..)

P

pulsarboby

thats right, dont run it past 5500rpm but it should stop it dumping pressure.
you will then see if the turbo is boosting correctly or not, without it dumping!