more speedo problems

ashills

right went out for a blat on the private runway today and hit 150 then all of a sudden all the clocks went dead
car still runs perfect but everytime i put a new fuse in it blows as soon as the ignition goes on anyoine know if any relays could have gone to cause this etc
any idea anyone
all teh centre gauges have gone aswell

zia

seems dash get power from fuse no 12 10amp on top left hand side
check for live trace back to ign circuit

zia

ashills

right little update
ive ripped the clocks out centre gauges ecu stereo
checked all the fuses and its the top left that blows eveytime i put the ignition on
i tested the output from the fuse wiuth a continiuty meter and its got continuity with earth so does that mean 100% a short to earth or could it be a relay
as im just about to take the whole dash out to trace wires etc

any help would be great here

zia

yep defo earthing out. there are no relays to the guages, trase power wires behind dash

zia

A

Anonymous

Hope I am right in thinking you would get some amount of continuity to earth, IF there are any bulbs in the circuit that you are testing.

Si

S

seanleed

You won't get continuity through a bulb, there will be some resistance.
I've just had a quick look at the wiring diagram and that fuse supplies lots of things (unfortunately). As well as all the gauges, it supplies the reversing lights and all the warning lights. I'd have a look at the cable going to the reverse switch incase it has shorted to earth, and after that you'll have to check all around the gauges for shorts.
Best of luck mate, looks like it'll be a nightmare :cry:

ashills

right stripped down everywire coming out the fuse box
the one casuing trouble is a branch off the top left fuse and goes off under the bonnet to something anyone any ideas what it would feed under there

ashills

found out its one of the wires that goes round the back of the engine
checked the red plug what ever that is and the think thats got like a bell shaped rubber coat on any other idea is the speed sensor connected to this lot does anyone know

ashills

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
after all that ive found the problem
the wire that goes to the gear selected pad on teh gear box got caught around the drive shaft and shredded all the covering off
new i forgot to cable tie a wire when i put the engine back in
oh well at least i can change the cracked dash now