missing under boost

jeff

being a gti-r newbie, looking for some help here

intermittant misfire as soon as boost comes in, power drops considerably when you nail it, new plugs - leads, distributor cap and cleaned up rotor arm.

uprated airfilter and exhaust fitted, at some point i think its had a boost controller as the soleniod is loopped and the vacum hose off the air intake just afetr air fllow meter has been blanked. may be relevant . may not be??

also wallbro 225 feul pump fitted in anticipation of some other mods

any thing else i should do?

thanks

Matty B

Has it just started doing it ? Could be the air flow meter playing up. If you've got a mate with an 'R' try there AFM on your motor, thats what i did anyway when mine fooked up.

jeff

they are 2nd hand magnecors - ive sorted out the vacum hosing as the boost solenoid had been looped and its running better, but, still intermittant misssing - altho its not nearly as bad??

dont know anyone else with an R nearby.

are they symptoms the same when the afm fucked up mate, its defo only missing under boost.

gtir_pimp

where abouts are you then? gaping the plugs shouldnt make any difference. put my new ones straight in and its fine. do you know anyone with a KV tester to test the leads?

jeff

i can see how the plugs having too big a gap could make it miss, as the boost increases the pressure inside the cylinder making it harder for the spark to jump, but i trust my mechanic to have gapped them correctly - he posts on here haha. wot should the gap be on them? and should it be closed when running increased boost?

suppose it could be poss ive got the wrong plugs - might pull one out to check

saddler

i can see how the plugs having too big a gap could make it miss, as the boost increases the pressure inside the cylinder making it harder for the spark to jump, but i trust my mechanic to have gapped them correctly - he posts on here haha. wot should the gap be on them? and should it be closed when running increased boost?

suppose it could be poss ive got the wrong plugs - might pull one out to check
my can got hesitation (missfire) under boost @1bar... try them at 0.8

saddler

where abouts are you then? gaping the plugs shouldnt make any difference. put my new ones straight in and its fine. do you know anyone with a KV tester to test the leads?
do a search of the above.. and then tell me gaping the plugs shouldnt make any difference

gtir_pimp

just saying i went to allparts, got new plugs put them in and away i went with no problems at 1bar or 1.3bar. it will obviously make a difference if the gaps to close or too far but if theyre new and not been messed with they should be ok. or are they a colder plug or something?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Does it depend which plug you're using? Maybe it makes a big difference with iridium plugs, but not the normal kind?

Matty B

When did it start doing it ? Did you change some parts and it started doing it or was it running fine and then it started ?

catchmeifyoucan01

could be your fuel pump i had the same issue with my walbro fuel pump and that was only a week old! and that was causing it to miss -fire when hitting boost.

jeff

cheers for all the suggestions people

ill check them out over the next week, as im away until the weekend