Mintex 1144 with standard disks

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Is there any point try the above pads on the standard brake set-up? or should I stop avoiding getting a big brake upgrade.

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Fast Guy said:
They'll do for now, but don't expect miracles.
(It's the same set up I have)

Do they bring the brakes to a safe level?

I'm used to 283mm disks from a 206 GTI 180 on my 205 and love them. Would like somthing as good for teh GTI-R really with the ££££s

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Depends on the condition of the rest of the system, they'll help abit but if you want good brakes, go bigger.

J

jpward

Same as what I use also but with multi grooved discs and still not superbike brakes but good enough for me for the time being. (I still get the ABS to kick in so if going bigger I think I would have to do away with the crap ABS?)

youngsyp

Realistically, they should reduce fade and increase initial bite, along with slightly better bite in use, when compared to the OE pads. As has been said though, don't expect miracles.
You could always improve the brakes in stages. When you go for the pads, get a set of steel braided lines too, and install them with a fluid change to a decent high boiling point fluid. This won't cost you much more than a set of M1144 pads, and will give you much improved feel and control.
Then for the next step, you could go to a big disc set up (I have 308mm discs and they're like night and day when compared to the OE sized discs) or, a big disc and multiple piston caliper set up, depending on funds.
Personally, if I was to do it again, I'd go for a big disc and multiple piston caliper set up as, the prices aren't that much more than just the bigger disc kits !

gtirx2

Do you guys like the 1144s?I only ask as i am using them with cheap ebc grooved and dimpiled discs and i hate them.One good stop from 100ish and then there done till you let them cool down again.
Not much better than the standard set up imo,really wish i had gone for the 1155.

J

jpward

gtirx2 said:
Do you guys like the 1144s?I only ask as i am using them with cheap ebc grooved and dimpiled discs and i hate them.One good stop from 100ish and then there done till you let them cool down again.
Not much better than the standard set up imo,really wish i had gone for the 1155.
I have worked mine hard on a few occasions and i have to say i got no fade at all!

I had EBC greens in before and they were bloody rubbish had to warm them and then had to make sure you did'nt overload them or they would fade away :doh:

Replaced all the caliper seals and pistons, changed to grooved fronts, installed 1144 all round and never looked back! ;-)

I've always used braided lines and good DOT 5.1

Up to the individual user i suppose but i thought the 1155 may just need they type of heating the old ebc's needed which was plane dangerious as it took like 2 mile for them to work propperly! :shock:

youngsyp

gtirx2 said:
You may not have bedded them in properly ?!

The only complaint I have with the M1144's is the initial bite isn't as pronounced as the Pagid fast road pads I used previously. However, they do take punishment much better.
They're almost ready for a change though so, I think I'll try the M1155's now, just to see what they're like

gtirx2

I see what you guys are saying,i had the same conversation on the mods site and other people seem to like them too.It must just be me,they have done a good few 1000 miles now so i think they are bedded in.
I seem to stop from high speeds once or maybe twice then when they are toast they make a rubbing/grating noise until they cool down!
1155 for me next i think.

youngsyp

gtirx2 said:
I see what you guys are saying,i had the same conversation on the mods site and other people seem to like them too.It must just be me,they have done a good few 1000 miles now so i think they are bedded in.
I seem to stop from high speeds once or maybe twice then when they are toast they make a rubbing/grating noise until they cool down!
1155 for me next i think.
It's not the amount of miles on the pads that defines when they're bedded in, it's how they're actually bedded in.

You should be doing a couple of light peddle pressure stops from 70 to 20 mph, then gradually increase peddle pressure over another 4 stops or so, and stay on them until you come to a stand still.

It's interesting what you say about the " rubbing/grating" noise too as, I get the same although, the brakes still work fine through it. They just make that noise.

Has anyone else experienced this ? Or know what's causing it ?

gtirx2

Yeah by the time i hear the grating noise i know that they are near there limit with me, and are just starting to fade.It wierd that we both get the same sort of sound tho,i think mine starts making the noise first from the left front?
As for the bed in i followed the instructions but i don't think it did much.Tbh they have got better over time but i stil wish i got the 1155.

J

jpward

Only thing i noticed was a little bit more squeel even with a bit of copper slip on the shims but no shuddering!!

Are you sure its not related to disc warp as my old RST used to warp noticable under heavy braking?

youngsyp

jpward said:
Only thing i noticed was a little bit more squeel even with a bit of copper slip on the shims but no shuddering!!

Are you sure its not related to disc warp as my old RST used to warp noticable under heavy braking?
It's not shuddering, it's groaning. Do you ever read posts properly ???? :lol:

Plus, when a disc is warped, it will stay warped and you will get brake judder all the time, not just when the brakes are hot.
I know what warped discs feel like too as, I replaced a set with new discs on the Pulsar, due to a numpty engineer, not skimming the old set properly.

From reading around, it seems that it's a natural occurence with semi metallic pads, although, I'm still not convinced that's the whole story ?!
Squeal is caused by the pad vibrating in the caliper or excess brake dust on the pad and caliper assembly !

My symptoms seem slightly different to 'gtirx2's' as, my brakes work as normal when the groan, they don't fade like his !

J

jpward

youngsyp said:
Squeal is caused by the pad vibrating in the caliper or excess brake dust on the pad and caliper assembly !

My symptoms seem slightly different to 'gtirx2's' as, my brakes work as normal when the groan
I know what makes brakes squeal thats why i use a dab of copper slip and kept the shims

The groaning is probably yourself Paul when your in pretend WRC mode :p

youngsyp

jpward said:
The groaning is probably yourself Paul when your in pretend WRC mode :p
Nope, that would be paaaaarrrrrrrrppppppppping !! :lol:

Seriously though, I might try and 'drive through' it and see what happens. It could be high spots on the disc where the pads aren't getting used as they were designed for. If it is this, the sustained heavy braking might smooth the disc surface off ?!

Anythings worth a try !!

J

jpward

youngsyp said:
Nope, that would be paaaaarrrrrrrrppppppppping !! :lol:

Seriously though, I might try and 'drive through' it and see what happens. It could be high spots on the disc where the pads aren't getting used as they were designed for. If it is this, the sustained heavy braking might smooth the disc surface off ?!

Anythings worth a try !!
I think I kind of know the type of noise you are talking about now my Bike runs small :p twin 310mm discs and makes a funny noise under heavy braking but it has drilled discs using sintered pads but i was told thats normal on a bike wonder if it is pad material and I have just not been as hard on the anchors in the R as you guys? :?

youngsyp

jpward said:
I think I kind of know the type of noise you are talking about now my Bike runs small :p twin 310mm discs and makes a funny noise under heavy braking but it has drilled discs using sintered pads but i was told thats normal on a bike wonder if it is pad material and I have just not been as hard on the anchors in the R as you guys? :?
Yep, mine has cross drilled discs too which, again, are expected to groan as a matter of course !!