minor issue,advice needed.

stugtir300

Evening all,fitted many new parts recently,serviced the old girl,she's running like a dream but one issue is annoying me,when running there is a ticking noise coming from the inlet manifold area,the noise doesnt increase in speed when the car is revved to any rpm,if it was a fault with an injector would the engine run lumpy?any input is much appreciated.

stugtir300

The injectors are standard gl3nn,i should of said in the first post,could probably do with a rebuild/refurb new seals etc,the noise sounds electrical like a relay clicking on and off,but it sounds like its coming from around the inlet manifold.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
What's the frequency of the ticking noise? Have you tried unplugging your emissions control bits to see if it goes away? maybe the solenoid is playing up?

stugtir300

I would say the ticking noise is about half to 3 quaters of a second apart,by emission control what parts should I check.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
The IAC/AAC valves at the back right of the inlet manifold. Never heard them making a ticking noise before but solenoids might do that when they fail. Unplug them to see if the issue go away. Just a simple check to rule things out.

stugtir300

I might sound daft now,but what solenoids should I check and where would I find them,I presume around the inlet because thats where the sound is coming from,correct me if im wrong.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I'd say it's your injectors, mine tick loudly when they were standard, once replaced the ticking nose was not as loud, but still noticeable.

I'd say it's that.

Any video footage?

stugtir300

Will try and get a video up,if that will help,has anyone else come across this issue,any input is appreciated.

johnny gtir

Sounds stupid but i called to a lads house the other week he said it was like a spark noise from inlet area. Best thing is it had been to a tuner who altered tickover etc. it was one of the little caps on throttle body sounded like a tick/spark

check the whole area round ther earths onto inlet plenem wires in that area them hold the injectors surly if there ticking that loud you will feel something on one or all them. Try and get a video up

stifler1603

what kind of ecu are you using? i had that same problem when i first installed my aem standalone. it made my iac valve click even when i took out the key from the ignition. it was getting a constant 12v power. so i had to swap the pins in the harness for it to stop. so first check the 2 10mm bolts on the intake manifold that comes from the injector harness and the ground wire that bolts to the y bracket at the rear of the engine.