Mines ecu or similar...

youngsyp

As the title say's, I'm after a Mines or similar ecu due to my stock unit, not being able to keep up with my breathing mods !

Sensible money waiting.

Cheers

Paul

youngsyp

jameswrx2 said:
Interested in what you mean?

I know the std unit can now be remapped, just wondered what the limiting factor is?
Well, I have a 3" exhaust, including elbow, up to just before the decat, where it tapers down to 2.5", with lagged downpipe. A Blitz SUS intake kit, port matched and lagged turbo to intercooler pipe, mildly ported TMIC inlet and outlet pipes, all OE breather and carbon canister parts removed. OE fuel pump with full battery voltage (re-wired) and reinforced grounding on major parts under the bonnet, including MAF and TPS. With my Apexi AVCR set to 1.15 kg/cm. The car just made 318 bhp and 290-295 lb's/ft of torque. The car is running very lean under load and it would seem, is operating outside the fuel and ignition maps at these times, when Conzult is connected up.

So, my car is going beyond the stock fuel and ignition maps with the mods that I have, If the OE ecu was remapped, this scenario would be remedied but, because I don't want to spend the money on getting a daughterboard fitted and the mapped, I want to go for a Mines ECU instead as, they seem to have a good history !

Not sure if that answers your question on not ?!

Fusion Ed

Mines ecu is not a bad idea, they are slightly re-scaled. You also have the option of upping the fuel pressure slightly if that still doesn't cure everything.

P

pulsarboby

paul you dont need a daughter board fitted to map the standard ecu!
if your after a mines, i may possibly have one in shortly, mattytappy just bought the last one off me.
had 3 mines units in within the last 2 months. they really do make a lot of difference to the performance of the car, its quite an aggressive map at 1.2 and the throttle response is much more crisp, they also seem to eliminate any bogging down periods throughout the rev range.
i drove the car of the first one i fitted before and after and was very impressed by the difference it made.
once mattytappy has recieved and fitted his one im sure he will post up the difference it makes to his car.

jameswrx2

youngsyp said:
Not sure if that answers your question on not ?!
Yeah, what I meant was.. Why buy the Mines if you can just custom MAP the standard ECU to match your mods perfectly and make the most of them. A generic MAP is never going to be as good I'd guess.

I thought you were saying the std ecu was limited.

youngsyp

pulsarboby said:
if your after a mines, i may possibly have one in shortly, mattytappy just bought the last one off me.
had 3 mines units in within the last 2 months. they really do make a lot of difference to the performance of the car, its quite an aggressive map at 1.2 and the throttle response is much more crisp, they also seem to eliminate any bogging down periods throughout the rev range.
i drove the car of the first one i fitted before and after and was very impressed by the difference it made.
once mattytappy has recieved and fitted his one im sure he will post up the difference it makes to his car.
Thanks Bob, that would be idea.

I'm just a bit miffed that I'm running very good power and torque for the mods I've done and that the stock maps can't keep up with them !

I'm not really after any more power as, what I have is more than enough. I'm just after an ecu that I know will be fuelling and controlling the ignition, safely for my mods plus, my ported manifold that I now can't fit until I've sorted the issue !
Needless to say, the car drives very well now, with very little lag (providing your in the right gear) and switch like throttle response. In fact, that was one area I was always impressed with, with the GTiR !

youngsyp

jameswrx2 said:
Yeah, what I meant was.. Why buy the Mines if you can just custom MAP the standard ECU to match your mods perfectly and make the most of them. A generic MAP is never going to be as good I'd guess.

I thought you were saying the std ecu was limited.
The simple answer is cost !

To get my ecu remapped will cost around £400. Of course that would be the ideal but, a Mines ecu will be considerably less to buy than that.
I have a lot of other interests currently and making the car faster isn't important to me anymore. If it turns out I can't get the issue resolved for reasonable money, I'll back the boost off (as I have now, to be safe), and leave it like it.

If I was to be a bit more cynical, I'd ignore the fuel graphs as, I've been running the boost I am currently, for a long time now and not had any issues. That's down to the way I drive though as, I rarely use full throttle !

Chris Gardner

Quick question on a mines people, how does it work with regard to a boost controller?? IE I have a profec b spec 2 in my R and if I bought a straight swap ecu like the mines would it override the boost controller?? silly question but just need to weigh stuff up!!

jameswrx2

Chris Gardner said:
Quick question on a mines people, how does it work with regard to a boost controller?? IE I have a profec b spec 2 in my R and if I bought a straight swap ecu like the mines would it override the boost controller?? silly question but just need to weigh stuff up!!

No. The after market boost controller is stand alone, has it's own solenoid and controls the boost independantly.

PaulB

pulsarboby said:
Im sure you do bob. If you open up a mines ECU, youl see a daughterboard already in place. The chip inside a GTiR ECU cannot be reflashed, and needs a daughterboard fitted, along with a jumper moved on the PCB.

P

pulsarboby

PaulB said:
Im sure you do bob. If you open up a mines ECU, youl see a daughterboard already in place. The chip inside a GTiR ECU cannot be reflashed, and needs a daughterboard fitted, along with a jumper moved on the PCB.

we shall see, i now know of 2 people that have had it mapped, supposedly without a daughterboard!!!

will have to come back to you on this one though as im only going by what im told, and im certainly no ecu expert:lol: but will have a definate answer very shortly;-)

and yes im aware that the mines has a daughterboard fitted

PaulB

Mature student with all ya learning Bob !

Blimey, whenever I look at your postcount, its up about 100 more everyday, postwhore :p

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
AFC and a WB lambda. You can check the fueling and tweak it yourself.

Just an alternative option for you.

Jim

youngsyp

pulsarboby said:
will have to come back to you on this one though as im only going by what im told, and im certainly no ecu expert:lol: but will have a definate answer very shortly;-)
Interesting Bob, keep us posted !
campbellju said:
AFC and a WB lambda. You can check the fueling and tweak it yourself.

Just an alternative option for you.

Jim
That was an area I had considered Jim and, could still be on the cars. I'll just have to see what sort of price, a Mines ecu comes in at !

Paul

M

micra_pete

pulsarboby - the stock nissan ecu cannot be re-mapped without a daughterboard.

i have seen one ecu that claimed to be re-mapped that was merely a change of some internal component, so the rev limit seemed higher - all it did was give the ecu false info

and one "remap without a daughterboard" that was effectively a pre-mapped piggyback unit.

:)

P

pulsarboby

well as i said im no electronics expert by any means, and would not know where to start with anything like that, so can only go by what im told.

the guy that had his done, as in my original post somewhere ages ago! words were: he knows someone that can map a standard ecu via a laptop and the hardware that he had. and HAD mapped this particular car with no piggyback or any other fuel or ignition controller at all.
now these 2 cars were done by a technician in fords development plant.
i also spoke to jed at horsham developments and was under the impression he can now do the same, but i will double check with him when my cars ready to be mapped, he never mentioned anything about fitting a daughterboard, but in all fairness i didnt ask him either!
but i will make enquiries myself, and no disrespect to anyone on here, but your just other people telling me something different, so im kind of split down the middle at the moment.

and paul....yes never really bothered to ever look at my post count:shock: im spending far to long on these crappy computer gizmos, no wonder the other half gets the asshole with me at times, im turning into a geek, wont be long before im a pen pusher:lol: :lol:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Its might be semantics Bob.

There will be no piggy back controllers like an E-manage but our cars unlike some more modern ECU's don't have writable memory so you have to do something

You can either swap chips (solder and TBH I can't think of a Gtir with this done) or install a daughter board that has the writable memory attached.

Doesn't really matter what they do as long as it works.

Incidentally , I'm a computer geek, I've been on here nearly 5 years and you've posted 10% more than me ;-)

P

pulsarboby

that makes me a geeky geek geek then jim:lol:

i must hold the record for more posts than anyone:shock: 5.25 a day, what a sad fooker i am, cant say im proud of it tbh!

btw what does semantics mean jim?:lol: