Mechanical Gauges & Sensors

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Any of you use after market oil pressure or oil temperature gauges.

If so where would be the best place to attach the sensors on the block.

Steve

E

Edd

snap i have guages to fit and dont know where best to fit them :oops:

I think oil temp you can fit in the sump plug if you have compatible screw size :?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Edd, try these guys, there AutoMeter UK dealers. I've used them in the past, very helpful.

Real Steal - Tel: 01895 440505

S

Sirnixalot

i would never use mechanical oil pressure and temp gauges in the cabin. Those stupid little nylon lines are bound to break. Dunno why autometer doesnt include something better.

Get electrical gauges and you will be much safer. On that note i think its illegal with some racing sanctioning bodies (FIA, etc.) to run mechanical fuel and oil pressure gauges inside the cabin.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
The problem is I never trust electrical gauges, mechanical ones are far more reliable (to my mind), so I want to replace the standard eletrical gauges with mechanical ones. The Omori ones I have have steal braided hoses and cables, so a bit more added security.

The question is really I would like to mount the oil pressure & oil temp senders in place of the electrical senders, but I don't know the thread sizes in the block. Has anyone any idea :?:

S

Sirnixalot

the standard oil pressure sensor port is 1/8 BSP

as for the oil temp...your going to have to tap the oil pan for that. Your best bet would be to get a bit of steel plate welded to the oil pan, dril land tap that to give the sensor/pickup a little added meat to thread into.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
On my last car, I T'd the oil pressure into the factory sensor point and had the sump drain drilled out to take the temp sensor.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Do you think the sump is the best place to put the Oil temp sensor, I would have thought the oil would have had chance to cool slightly in the sump :?:
Don't you thing it'd be better actually taped into an oilway in the block :?: