Measuring Shims??!! Help!

A

Anonymous

Can anyone tell me the correct way to measure the shims on my gtir, do you measure from the top of the shim to the inside of the cap, do you use a micrometer or a vernier gauge, i have phoned a few garages and i am getting different ways from each, please can someone in the know enlighten me.

cheers

A

AZ STE

How id do it is measure the cold gap with cam lobe pointing up between the bucket and the cam with feeler gauges. If the gap is to big you then measure the shim thickness and get a shim that takes the gap to within the required tolerance. Never go to tight on the gap best to go to the given distance as heat does have a significant factor in the gap when running

sypher

use a micrometer that measures to 0.01 of a mm (hundredth) and yup you're right from inside the cup (fits onto the valve) to the top surface of the shim.... i would advise buying one that uses domed / pointed ends to fit in the caps and grooves as the mic' i've got just now has flat surface contact points and doesn't fit !!!!!!

and as above if setting up when cold,, set to cold specs

by the looks of your post you've already done the valve clearances and are now adjusting them..

C

c11gtr

nissan say measure gap between cam and shim you may need wire feelers write down reading ,then remove cams and remove shims mic up shims write that down also then work out how much bigger or smaller shim you need, nissan quote 5 hours to do the job big bucks at their labour rates

J

jasegould

Hmmmm...cant quite understand what you mean. Are you talking about the whole procedure (i.e. checking and adjusting valve clearances) or just measuring the shims......coz you can use what you want to measure the shim, I use digital verniers (about £30 quid) but you can use manual verniers or micrometers, doersnt matter what you use as long as you measure it right.

A

Anonymous

its the method of how to actually measure the two types of shims, do you measure from inside to the top, and the shim with the groove in how is that measured?? please help

J

jasegould

Sorry mate, havent got a clue what you are on about, and ive been measuring shims for years at work. And theres only one type of shim, and none have grooves in.
The shim is a small metal disc that goes on top of the valve lifter/bucket. Its measured using verniers or a micrometer, simple as that

Jobi Joba

measure the overall height,and then remove the depth of the "hole" used to fit the shim on the valve (2.5mm) and the height of the "castle" shape used to guide the rocker arm (3mm)... :wink:

sypher

sorry-- grooves /castles on top of the shim, :oops:

and measuring from the point inside the shim cup (if turned upside down kinda thing ) although if you look at the downloadable ''service data 2'' it clearly shows from TOP to BOTTOM

i would personally measure between the two contact surfaces to check for wear in and out thats all, not having a go at anybody elses method just giving an opinion thats all :|

Jobi Joba

sypher said:
and measuring from the point inside the shim cup (if turned upside down kinda thing ) although if you look at the downloadable ''service data 2'' it clearly shows from TOP to BOTTOM
Without measuring instruments you won't find anywhere but in metrology departments,you won't be able to measure directly from TOP to BOTTOM...just look at the part (take on in ur hand) and u'll see what I mean...

But if you take time to switch your brain on,u'll see that the surfaces which are used to measure the overall height will never wear as there no parts in contact with them...

That's why the 2.5mm and the 3mm I mentioned above are dimensions which will never change...