Major help needed

PulsarTom

Hi guys, just put new engine in my r this weekend, turned her on and water temp guage is hitting max after a few minutes. The rad fans are not coming on at all, plus when you rev the engine no fluid comes out of the bleed nipple on top of thermostat, but when on idle, water pisses through. There is also bits of copper in my radiator cap?! We are stuck at what it could be, as changed water temp sender, relays are fine and also changed the thermostat! All help much appreciated

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Sound like you have air in the system still. Have you bled it properly as per the "how to"?

PulsarTom

Yeah ok guys, cheers for the help, thats why i rang you yesterday craig as i was stuck. Yes we have bled the system properly, but i will try again as it cant hurt!! Right will go and try again at some point!! lol bloody car what a nightmare, all will be good eventually hopefully. My radiator does look like it seen better days, i suppose getting a new one wont hurt as for peace of mind as well.

PulsarTom

Just wondering also, why dont the fans cut in if the water temp is getting too hot? Also its burning water quickly, as we are replacing the coolant evey few mintues! thanks again

geoff pine

Just wondering also, why dont the fans cut in if the water temp is getting too hot? Also its burning water quickly, as we are replacing the coolant evey few mintues! thanks again
If the temp sender to the ecu is shot then it still thinks the engine is cold so no need for the fans to run or maybe a fuse has blown.

PulsarTom

Yeah ive changed the tep sender for a known working one and checked all fuses, will have another look though.

icecool70

When you say new engine did you rebuild it yourself or is it secondhand? sounds like a leak to me maybe the headgasket,or your rad especially if your having to top up that much

oggy01

I'm not 100% on this but I seem to think if the water in the system isn't touching the temp sensor than its not reading right, as you say the water is not staying in the system so this could be the reason the fans are not coming in.

I could be talking s**t so if i am sorry.

PulsarTom

I got the engine second hand from an owners club member. There is no leaks anywhere, as car was in garage and only coolant on floor was from where we was bleeding her, how can i check if my rads blocked? surely if the rad was blocked then i would be getting water out of the thermostat bleed nipple also rad pipes get really hot?! maybe im being stupid myself

P

pulsarboby

if both rad pipes and heater in and out pipes are hot then the water will be flowing ok

if the fans arent cutting in and you have renewed bits i told you about yesterday then the only other thing is that the h/g could be blowing which will cause air locks in the system and stop water from circulating through temp sender to ecu
get a sniffer test done on the engine to see if headgaskets blowing

nathan

i'm not 100% on this but i seem to think if the water in the system isn't touching the temp sensor than its not reading right, as you say the water is not staying in the system so this could be the reason the fans are not coming in.

I could be talking s**t so if i am sorry.
agreed

gtir_pimp

if you want to make sure waters flowing everywhere then take off the rad pipes and stick a hose in the rad and let the water through to see if it comes out the other side.. then stick it in the head and do the same

PulsarTom

Yeah ive bled the system again and replaced all bits and still no joy, water temp hits peak after 3mins of being turned on, got steam coming off the radiator and the radiator is burning hot to touch too. Im going to do a sniffer test bob, if the head gaskets gone then im not going to a happy man. thanks for all help guys and keep you updated.

icecool70

I just read your first post again and noticed you said there was copper bits on your cap... that to me sounds like someone has put some kind of Kseal in to stop or try to stop a leak from the headgasket or the rad. goodluck fella

olliecast

Exactly was I was going to say icecool.

my old car had bits of copper in after a rad weld or similar product has been used in the coolant to try and stop a potential leak.

Sniffer test looks the way forward as bob says.

Cheers,
Ollie