Loud Turbo Noise - GT3071R

billy187

Ive just had the car mapped to 1.8bar and the turbo has now gotten very loud when the car is switched off. The car still runs perfect with no smoke and boosts perfect. However the noise is alot louder than it ever was before (before at 1.4bar it would spin normally for around 30secs when switched off) so im guessing the turbo's on its way out. Anyone ever had one rebuilt? What sort of money would i be looking at depending on what needed replacing of course...

Last edited:

Trip

i heard that GT3071R do not rebuild themselves. you have to buy the core new. But i might be wrong

Trondelond

As far as I know, ball bearing turbos can't be rebuilt, but you can get new cores. Pretty expensive though.

Edit : Too slow. :p

pulsar350R

just out of interest did DD map your car. if so enough said. (dogdy dave) ave never trusted him with my pulsar's. probably would have back in the days but never again.

craige101

Why would a turbo not working be anyones fault if it was ok when mapped o yeah i forgot slate the tunners first find information second

topdoggtir

and you will get them to repair it, oppps something else goes wrong and next rebuild time...oppps something else goes wrong.
Then your broke.
You were warned over on the mods.
That fact that that turbo is good for 2.0 bar just make sure it hasn't been tampered with.
I'll get a full independent inspction if I were you.

Last edited:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
However the noise is alot louder than it ever was before (before at 1.4bar it would spin normally for around 30secs when switched off) so im guessing the turbo's on its way out.
I take it you mean its louder after the engine is switched off rather than on boost?

A 3071 at >1.8Bar sounds more like a jet turbine than a turbo. Does it still spin for about 30s after its switched off. Mapping won't really affect a turbo and 1.8Bar should be well within the turbo's capability for many happy years of motoring. If it has gone wrong then it could be a mechanical defect or installation issue.

The only way mapping would affect it is if it was so bad that det or over heating has sent bits done your exhaust. If that's the case then the turbo will be the least of your worries!

Jim

billy187

Yep im talking about when the car is switched off, whilst in boost the turbo works perfect. The noise shouldnt really get louder than it was before when switched of should it? It just doesnt sound right for it to be ok :cry: but you never know...It still spins for about 30secs though...

I dont no any history of the turbo either as it was already on the car when i bought it 2 years ago now(dont have a reciept for when it was bought either) but it was definently working perfect before i got it mapped...

I take it you mean its louder after the engine is switched off rather than on boost?

A 3071 at >1.8Bar sounds more like a jet turbine than a turbo. Does it still spin for about 30s after its switched off. Mapping won't really affect a turbo and 1.8Bar should be well within the turbo's capability for many happy years of motoring. If it has gone wrong then it could be a mechanical defect or installation issue.

The only way mapping would affect it is if it was so bad that det or over heating has sent bits done your exhaust. If that's the case then the turbo will be the least of your worries!

Jim

Last edited:

splmum

Just at a guess, the turbo noise, as you call it, would appear to get louder when you turn OFF the engine, because it is the only noise you can now hear, that is, no engine noise, no exhaust noise, nothing other than the turbo spinning. therefore, you will think the turbo is getting louder, but it is only because all your background noise has gone. Does that make sense.
And I presume it stops making the noise when it stops spinning (after about 30 seconds).

billy187

Just at a guess, the turbo noise, as you call it, would appear to get louder when you turn OFF the engine, because it is the only noise you can now hear, that is, no engine noise, no exhaust noise, nothing other than the turbo spinning. therefore, you will think the turbo is getting louder, but it is only because all your background noise has gone. Does that make sense.
Yep i know what you mean mate but im talking about the turbo noise compared to how it sounded when switched of before getting mapped, where it spinned alot more quietly.

ashills

no hes saying its now louder than it used to be

one of the 3071's ive had was showing 5-10% wear after being run at 2 bar for a couple of months so they can wear pretty quickly especially if its not that new which i think his isnt and if hoses etc have ever blown off

splmum

aha, what does it boost too now?

it's possible that the tinkers have tinkered where they needn't to have been and the higher boost has, as already said, caused excessive wear on the centre bearing and it is starting to fail.

ashills

also check for any boost leaks as teh turbo maybe making more boost than your guage is actually reading

ddautosports

just to clarify,Billys car was dropped off to us with the instruction of replaceing the cylinder head for a ported one due to the stem seals being faulty,this job was carried out and the headgasket was replaced for a thicker 2mm gasket on doing the head swap we run some test on the engine to make sure it was ok and it was and STILL is ok
Here are a list of other jobs we have also done to the car
Replace head for ported head
Fabricate turbo elbow and front pipe
Fit avcr to stop boost from fluctuating
Rework collapsed intake
Re map power fc

Faults

ddautosports

Faults found
Billy had advised us he had replaced the oil return on the turbo and it was crimped repaired
Boost pipe fastener to inlet manifold faulty and not clamping replaced
Intake system collapseing rectified
These faults were all rectified before any mapping took place