Lost my Locking Wheel Nut Key!?!?!?

nickg123

Anyone know what to do?

Thought it was at home.......... but i can't find it ANYWHERE!

Need this as Mike is hopefully going to fit my suspension, but need to get the wheels off first!

Is there any options - they're hard to drill out as they're McGuard Stainless Steel ones.......

A

AZ STE

Didnt you get a leaflet with them? They are coded and you can get a new one made from the address.You should be able to get a small chisel in and tap them loose but then its the end of the Mc Guards

MarkTurbo

If you can't get a new one off the manafacturer depending on the shape of them you could try hammering an old socket on to them (bi-hexagonal usually best)
I did it this way on my old R 5 turbo.

But if they're made of stainless it might not work, depends how hard the stainless is.

Only other way i can think of is getting someone to weld nuts on them, just depends how far they set back into the wheels though.

nickg123

I spoke to Elite, they'll take them off for £40 plus VAT, which isn't too bad i guess............

They were on the car originally so i don't have any codes/leaflets or anything!

I think because they're Steel, they'll just be too hard to bang a socket over them - will just have to pay for it i suppose.

M

Mr Overboooost

you could always get another set of the same locking wheel nuts and modifiy the key with them to suit cos thats what olly did for me when i lost mine.
cheers
gary :)

A

Anonymous

Those mcGuard ones have a computer generated fractal pattern or something, you would probably have a job modifying the key to get them off.

I would make sure the garage gives you some sort of guarentee that they won't damage your wheels incase they have a right old job getting them off as well.

nickg123

Yeah i'll check with them - but they're a massive dealer, so they've probably got a Generic key or something that fits all!?!?

The only other way is to use a slightly smaller socket (hammer it onto the locking nut so it jams it on and then take them out. then the locking one will need replacing though....

J

J-GTi-R

That method unfortunately doesn't work on the McGuard lock nuts.

O

Olly

Hammers and chisels waste of time on them nuts. But if there McGuard then pop down to your local Ford dealer cos we have a master set of keys and we can order replacement keys, specifcally for McGuard wheels nuts, not sure but I think the patterns vary from Ford,Vauxhall and after market but well worth a try (they all use McGuard nuts) no skin lost 8)

A

Anonymous

introduce a 15mm socket to an angle grinder is what I did for mine when I lost it just cut notches into the socket... still carry the doctored socket in my car and have the original locking nuts on :)

S

seanleed

Was in one of the car accessory shops the other day and they had locking wheel nut removers, the same idea as a screw extractor but with the thread on the inside. Might be worth trying around you to see if there are any knocking about.