Losing gears!

The other week i took the R up to Coventry, couple of hours on the motorway, when i came off and went to select lower gears i couldnt get any without using considerable force on the gearstick - there was no grinding, but a lot of resistance. When driving back home it was fine, and hasnt really done it since until just now. Was out driving, but not on a long journey (15mins or so) and it was hard to put in any gear except 5th, at one point i came to a stop and it just wouldnt go in first at all so had to pull away in 2nd!

Am i right in thinking the clutch is going? The clutch fluid level is fine, doesnt drop at all. Really hoping its not the gearbox going, but it shouldnt be as i dont drive the car hard or launch it, so confused as to why the clutch would be going too :der:

Any help much appreciated guys.

P

pulsarboby

sounds like the clutch dan!
before you do anything else try bleeding it via the slave cylinder as it may have a leak and that could be the prob, or water contamination in fluid!
also take the clutch up to max height on adjuster by pedal, this will also give a little more leverage on the fork.
if prob is still there then, then it sounds like the clutch plate is on its last legs im afraid!

Cheers Bob, will do those things tommorrow.

Really hoping its easily solved as ive gotta drive down to France next month and have no money for a new clutch right now :roll:

rossdj1983

correct, but id do as bob says check the hydralic system first mate, have alook and feel under the clutch pedal for any signs of fluid

rossdj1983

if all is good there its box out time, which in my experince is easiest solved by dropping out the box and motor in one go.

take of the resivour cap, what colour is the fluid? if its gone all dark crappy looking then its sure as shit a seal or a cylinder gone

Its yellow-ey lol I know its due a change..

I have an engine crane and all tools needed to remove an engine, i just dont know anything about the R engines lol. Plus money is tight this month and will be next month :roll:

rossdj1983

basically you need to jack the front end right up, the drop the engine and box down- took me around 4 hours and 3 million cups of tea.
then separate the two- job done

rossdj1983 said:
take of the resivour cap, what colour is the fluid? if its gone all dark crappy looking then its sure as shit a seal or a cylinder gone
Checked the colour of the fluid today as last time i checked it was a few weeks back and its not yellow-ey any more, is brown! Maybe the clutch isnt at fault then and i need a new master/slave cylinder..

rossdj1983

maybe, triple check all the hydrulic system mate, take the plenum off and have a look at the pipe going to the master cylinder.

the fluid ant gonna stay immaculate even if it ant buggered, when my cylinder went it went a light grey colour

paz

It could be the clutch Dan, its been in there a while now :) but obviously I'd do all your other checks first.

Paz

Came to the conclusion that its the master cylinder gone, so bit the bullet and bought a new one along with a new slave cylinder as well - £130 all in, not too bad i thought..

Now to find a garage i can trust to fit them and not 'test drive' the car for me :roll:

paz

:lol: I could recommend one in Bolton, but that probably wouldn't help much ;)

Good luck bud.

Paz