lightening std crank/flywheel

T

Toady

has anyone done this? is the std stuff capable of holding onto itself when its been lightened? :?

A

Anonymous

Toady said:
has anyone done this? is the std stuff capable of holding onto itself when its been lightened? :?
best mod you can do,bar none :wink: :D

even if the rest of your engine,turbo etc,etc were left standard,with the lightened flywheel and crank,you'd think you had an extra 50bhp :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

it would be a very expensive job to do on it's own though :(

if you're going to the trouble of splitting the engine to get at the crank,you might as well do a proper job on it ie pistons,cams oil pump gears etc etc :twisted:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I've had the crank balanced but not lightened. I'm not sure If I would lighten the crank as its a nice strong piece of kit that won't break. I've got an aftermarket flywheel in rather than lightening the OE.

It won't add any notable hp but it will change the feel of the engine significantly. Mine went in at the same time as some cams and a twin plate clutch but I think lightening does make pulling away in traffic without stalling a more concerted effort.

After that though, the engine just feels more alive, off boost and on boost throttle response is far better and the engine loves to rev. Its definately something I would spend money on again.

However, would I skim and drill holes through the OE flywheel and hope it stays together? I know other poeple have taken a pound or two off their flywheel in the past, try a search and see if anything comes up. I might have read it on the Yahoo forums though.

If you left your crank alone and just lightened the flywheel the job wouldn't be too expensive, especially as part of a clutch change or something.

Jim

O

Odin

I had my clutch and flywheel balanced and lightened, Had the flywheel taken down to about 7kg's.

rob

T

Toady

well i wouldnt strip the engine JUST to lighten the crank!lol! :lol:
Im doing a full engine rebuild atm and was wondering on the reliabilty of the std gtir crank and fly when lightend.

Ive done l&b on other engines b4, but they werent as powerfull as what im aiming for, so werent as stressed. i want it done cos i know how much difference it makes! :wink:

lightening any reciprocating mass in the engine is like adding more hp at the end of the day.

so is the general opinion that they are strong enough to be lightend for a 400bhp capable engine? 8) :?:

A

Anonymous

Toady said:
so is the general opinion that they are strong enough to be lightend for a 400bhp capable engine? 8) :?:
would lighten it as such but,would spend a bit on getting it balanced thoroughly which will mean removing a bit of weight thereby lightening it :? think i'll shut up now :lol:

if you get to that kind of power limit,you can spin the mains as happened with mine after a light over-reving moment :twisted: think nismo do uprated ones.