Koni Insert fitting question?

B

bean

The instructions looked simple to me until I realised I have two different pages in one box, not sure which to follow! :?

Basic problem is instructions for fronts say to cut 40mm off the original shock housing, there's also another set with different references, L1 and L2 of varying measurements. :?

Rear shocks instructions also mention different various measurements to cut too! :?

Someone please tell me what I need to cut off the front and rear oem shocks housings! :oops:

P.S. I've read the HOWTO off the GTIR website and it just says refer to instructions.
P.P.S Haven't got a 14mm drill piece yet!

B

bean

Bollox, I should of put this in the 'Problem Solving' section.

Can one of you kind mods move it please? :oops:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I fitted Koni inserts to the front of my last car (not a Gtir was it Edd :wink: ) I can't remember any measurements, but all I did was cut the top of the old damper off and you had to drill a large hole in the base for a retaining bolt to hold the insert in place. The Koni insert had some little ridges near the top of the body, they were for holding it centrally in the old casing I guess and a bolt holds it in place at the bottom. So I would assume as long as you don't remove the old body lower than the ridges, you should be ok. If no one else comes up with anything, you could ask a local mechaninc and see if he's got any ideas.

B

bean

Thanks, I'll double check with Powerstation tomorrow, hope they don't get annoyed cos I've already rang them twice with questions... :oops:

E

Edd

I suppose i should help you now :p

I had the konis fitted on mine at POwerstation. Niock hacksawed sround top of the strut near a groove, then the bar and fluid fall out, then you need to drill hole in bottom of the shock. Then you push the shock inside the strut and fix the bolt into bottom of the insert. you need to fit it f*cking tight htough.
When you ring powerstation just ask to speak to nick or curtis as they will better explain it that anyone else :wink:

B

bean

Edd said:
I suppose i should help you now :p

I had the konis fitted on mine at POwerstation. Niock hacksawed sround top of the strut near a groove, then the bar and fluid fall out, then you need to drill hole in bottom of the shock. Then you push the shock inside the strut and fix the bolt into bottom of the insert. you need to fit it f*cking tight htough.
When you ring powerstation just ask to speak to nick or curtis as they will better explain it that anyone else :wink:
Thanks...

I guess he must of sawed above the groove.

I've read the Koni instructions but they must be in Welsh, I'll check with Powerstation tomorrow. :idea:

ex-gtir

i fitted two lots of these and im sure for kyb orginals you dont cut themat the bottom but when you cut the top off cut exactly on the groove its dead right there
mike

B

bean

ex-gtir said:
i fitted two lots of these and im sure for kyb orginals you dont cut themat the bottom but when you cut the top off cut exactly on the groove its dead right there
mike
Thanks Mike! :)

B

bean

Well, I'm making slow progress but the fronts are done.

Wish the weather was better and it didn't get dark so f'in early!!! :x

B

bean

What a bitch of a job fitting Konis is, had a mare changing springs cos my compressors slipped and smacked me in the hand. :shock:

I've only got the fronts done this weekend, have to drive around until Friday when I should get time to do the rears.

Managed to break one of the three bolts on the strut tops which bolt the shock to the car in the engine bay :evil:

I seem to be getting some tyre scrubbage when going round corners or over maojr bumps, the front of the car looks majorly lowered.. 8) I hope once the rears are done this'll affect the whole car and the front won't rub round corners! :oops:

S

Sunny Nutter

Bean/Mike.......be expecting a pm from me in the next few weeks, ;my Koni inserts are on the way at the mo and I will be looking to pick your brains :roll: