Knocking suspension driving me nuts!

jameswrx2

Ever since I've had my gtir I've had a knocking from the front suspension (both sides but more noticeably from NSF)

I've always thought it's the strut top mounts (as I've had evos and they are prone to it and it sounded exactly the same)

Tonight I took the top mounts apart (again) and seeing no real noticeable problem areas I made up some plastic washers between the bearing and spring top seat to see if there was slack (in the only place that'd casue noise)

No joy, still exactly the same and the complete top mount is tight as a drum so I'm certain now it's not them (as there wasn't even a change of the noise)

I've also (previously) replaced the anti roll bar bushes and drop link bushes (more from when I was just refreshing things) so I can count those out.

The shock absorbers themselves are not leaking, they are very 'new' feeling ie movemen is nice firm with hard suction/resistance both ways.

I've checked the drop links (when I changed the bushes) and couldn't get any movement out of them or noise, also tried the bottom ball joints. Again when I had an Evo I had a similar noise which turned out to be drop links but there was very noticeable movement in them, on the gtir they seem tight.

It's really annoying me now! I know these threads are a bit pointless really as it's a guessing game so not really sure why I'm posting haha!

I'm going to buy some drop links now and try those.

nickr

Have u checked the hood hinges? If your hood is closed, give a tug on the hood closest to the windshield. My hinges are old and rusty and have some give. Maybe a mm or 2, but its enough to give it a knocking sound when i hit bumps. It did this more when i installed my gab tower bar, the hood was actually rattling against this so i put a washer between the hood and the hinge to raise it up a couple mm's. It quieted it down some, but i still get the occasiaonly knock sound.

youngsyp

Have you bounced the car up and down whilst sticking your head under the bonnet ? That might help you localise the knocking.

I had an annoying knocking a while ago. I changed everything at the front end, bar the dampers. Guess what it was.........

Paul

P

pulsarmick

hi i have the same knock by the sounds of it when i turn my wheel in the morrning it make the sound i think its the spring jumpping on its platforms will have to take the springs off and clean the surface they sit on is this the same type of knock you got on your car :-D

stugtir300

hi everyone i had the same knocking you have all described, i changed the antiroll bar links and low and behold the knocking went,this was after changing the driveshafts and the shocks.

jameswrx2

I've done..

top mounts
ARB bushes
Drop link bushes
Drop links (and new poly bushes)

Fingers crossed the shocks sort it.

olliecast

let us know then as mine has a full set of poly bushes, had the old crowbar everywhere and still can`t find the knock, may be my shockers so be interesting if your replacement solves yours

jameswrx2

davey red.r said:
what shocks did you get?

davey;-)
Just some 2nd hand ones from Andy.. done the trick though. Cheers Andy!

Strange thing was the ones that were on my car looked pretty new and felt good (when I'd messed around with them off the car) The 2nd hand ones I got looked tired really (on the outside) but thought I'd try them out, when I did... problem gone so it seems my original ones were shafted. I did have to tidy up the 'new' ones though for my liking, gave them a quick strip off and repint today before fitting just to cheer them up visually.