Knockhill Speed Sunday - This Weedend - 27th January 2008

Braveheart

Odin said:
Just watched the video and their was f*ck all you could of done about that, Where you braking while on th grass though ?, Looked very nasty :shock: :cry: .
Maybe if that other bloke is breaking his car you should think about re shelling yours if his is straight enough, If not I'm sure bob could sell you an OK shell.
Watching you defo puts me off anymore track days at knock hill, It's just to small for my liking :cry: .
Rob
The grass area was a real quagmire after all that heavy rain.
I lifted off the brake after leaving the track but the car carried on it's natural course, did not respond to steering. I planted my head to the back of the bucket seat in an attempt to utilise the supports and waited for the impact. :shock:
The chaps got back via PM... not great news as the car that's being stripped has actually got o/s accident damage.
I like... or liked my shell.... it's pretty rust free... I'll see what pans out. Repair is my preferred option at the moment.
My stats are abnormal and you should not be put off by this mishap.... ;-)

O

Odin

Braveheart said:
Repair is my preferred option at the moment.
Well hopefully you can find a really good local body shop, Those rear quarters are very tricky to replace properly :cry: .

The door and front wing will be easy enough to get hold of, I see you broke that new front indicator I sold you :doh: Muppet :roll: :lol: .

I've just chucked out my old standard front bumper :doh: .

Good luck with it mate ;-) .

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkTurbo

Braveheart said:
The circuit itself is quite tight which can mean close racing at times but it is also quite technical. Both items make it enjoyable for driver and spectator.
I dont know if thats how you meant it but if your treating a trackday as a race your just asking for trouble :doh: And that sort of attitude is just going to cause problems for yourself and others ;-)

After watching that video it does remind me of some of the action days at castle combe where there was upto 40 cars on track at a time :shock: People with 0 talent used to turn up with a £250 cavalier sri or something similar and drive like a complete t**t and just be a danger to everybody else :evil:

Anyway, main thing is your ok ;-)

Braveheart

MarkTurbo said:
I dont know if thats how you meant it but if your treating a trackday as a race your just asking for trouble :doh: And that sort of attitude is just going to cause problems for yourself and others ;-)
After watching that video it does remind me of some of the action days at castle combe where there was upto 40 cars on track at a time :shock: People with 0 talent used to turn up with a £250 cavalier sri or something similar and drive like a complete t**t and just be a danger to everybody else :evil:
Anyway, main thing is your ok ;-)
"The circuit itself is quite tight which can mean close racing at times but it is also quite technical. Both items make it enjoyable for driver and spectator."

This was a general description of the circuit and it's attributes.
To watch the BTC's race at Knockhill is something else.
I use track days as a means of enjoyment, to legally drive my car hard and fast and improve both car and driver handling, meet other like minded people and generally have a great day out.
All drivers are given a track breifing before going out on the circuit. The emphasis of which is on safety and enjoyment. "red mist" style driving is seriously condoned by officials and drivers alike.
I'm generally in a calm but focused frame of mind on the track. It's amazing the amount of information that you have to process while driving round. The only time I really push myself and car to the limits is when I have clear track ahead and behind minumising the risk to other track users. Maybe not everyboby has that same philosophy and occasionally get lost in the moment...:doh:
Anyway, you can't always predict what's round the corner and if you were to imagine the worst and constantly hesitate you would become an obstacle yourself.
Upwards and onwards. When I get my car fixed, fit the new turbo, injectors etc I may join the track only cars... ;-)

O

Odin

I've watched that vid of yours a few times now, And I don't really see what you could of done differently really, Maybe if you had seen it sooner you could stopped with the brakes, But you didn't have much thinking time did you, If any blame should be attributed I think the driver who lost it gets my vote.

Hope you fix it up soon mate.

Rob

G

gtirbhp

is it just me or was that a fwd hatchback that was sitting spun out that you nearly hit ? i mean how the F00k do you spin out in a fwd car on an almost straight piece of track too :shock:

unlucky man i hope its just cosmetic

edit

just watched it again and idiots like that should not be allowed on the track!! they would have known all about it if you had of hit them straight on instead of doing a smart BUT risky manouver onto the grass.. Nice driving buddy its just a shame that cant be said about the numpty that spoiled your day!

Braveheart

Thanks Guys....
That fwd hatchback (GT4) driver actually done very well to pull up behind the lame stricken Corsa. He did have the advantage of extra visibility and was able to get on the brakes much earlier that I. My vision was limited by a couple of car's that I was passing.
If he had been unable to pull up and had taken to the grass as I did it would have been a right mess. I'm glad to have had the tyre wall option instead of another car and he was very happy to see me pass him.

P

pulsarboby

cheers for the link scotty, just watched it!

as far as im concerned the driver at fault here was the white mazda or was it toyota, he was far too slow and holding everyone up, dont know if this was a sessioned day or an open pitlane but if it was sessioned then he was in the wrong group fullstop.

the accident itself was unavoidable from your point iof view as you had no visibility due to the car you was about to overtake, so in a nutshell you really had nowhere to go.

the other blame lies with the marshalls, why was there no yellow flag waving warning of the hazard ahead!!!

i think trackdays are a race 'but against yourself' i have times at every track ive been on and every time i go on the track i try to beat my previous time, then im happy.
its pointless going on track if your going for a sunday drive as some people do, in my mind these people are hazards and should be told to get there act together or get off the track!
they can say 'well i paid my money' but that quite frankly aint good enough as they are ruining everyone elses day that have also paid there money too.

just whack it out with a big bosher scott, if you need anything that you cant get locally then give me a holler. its a trackday at the end of it and things like this happen
'wrong place wrong time'

gunmetalgtir

Just watched the video, thats a nasty bash down the side!!

Hope you get it sorted soon Scott, look on the bright side it could have been much much worse!!!

Glad your ok and the car will live to see another day! :-D

stugtir300

glad to see your ok,shit happens,as pulsarboby said give it a whack with a big bosher,have you seen the post/reply to your video it said the corsa was driven by a women.hope you sort it soon so i can enjoy some more of your vids,i was overjoyed to see you beat the 2 poobarus.

Braveheart

stugtir300 said:
glad to see your ok,shit happens,as pulsarboby said give it a whack with a big bosher,have you seen the post/reply to your video it said the corsa was driven by a women.hope you sort it soon so i can enjoy some more of your vids,i was overjoyed to see you beat the 2 poobarus.
Big hammer, bit of filler and maybe a very reluctant decal. Sh1t, I should get a sponsor with the amount of attention that I attract .... ;-)
No, I have not looked at the comments on youtube, I'll take a look now. Cheers!!!

nimhbk

i had the best part of my rear quater cut out to the crease just below the window,and a sheet of metal welded and shaped put in, was told it was easy job £150 job done, you would never tell the difference, would say a lot cheaper than buying a pannel.... a real shame to see what happened, your the only guy on you tube that does not make the gtir look chavy,as you use it for what it should be used for, hope you get it all sorted soon fella and that we will see many more of your great vids on you tube
thanks Nick

Braveheart

nimhbk said:
i had the best part of my rear quater cut out to the crease just below the window,and a sheet of metal welded and shaped put in, was told it was easy job £150 job done, you would never tell the difference, would say a lot cheaper than buying a pannel.... a real shame to see what happened, your the only guy on you tube that does not make the gtir look chavy,as you use it for what it should be used for, hope you get it all sorted soon fella and that we will see many more of your great vids on you tube
thanks Nick
Cheers Nick...
Thanks for your words of experience with regards to rear quarters and appreciation of my use of the car / videos.
I will fix the car and continue to track it.
The general support and the support from GTIROC has been great.
All going well, I will have the parts I need and get myself and the car back on track.
The biggest bugbear is that I'm very keen to support performance cars / drivers and do not wish this to put people off giving it a go on the track. At the moment though or from that perticular video I guess I'm not the best ambassador.
Anyway... thanks again!
I'm fine, the car will live to tell another tail and it's upwards and onwards.
I have many performance parts to fit... ;-)
Cheers!

nimhbk

i just know how gutting it is, i had my r a month when i reversed into a lamp post broke the lights rear bumper and the rear quater , instead of bumping it off i tried to drive it off lol was a right mess, i think in the two years i have now had it i have had to change the hole back end apart from the tail gate. as a van drove into the other quater and drove of with out leaving any details... but really good to see you are going to carry on it only ever cost big bucks when you dont know anyone.

Braveheart

I've had the car checked over and the geometry is good and everything is pretty much true!
I have loads of work to do now and will get the final alignment done when it's finished.
I will not make the 22nd at KH as I have decided to incorporate all my other mods now.
Here's a few pics of the poor wee thing as I start the repair.

The heart is still sweet!!!

Garef

Ur not gonna make KH, gutted mate, I was looking forward to seeing you throwing this round the track. If your needing a help with anything give me a shout, I'm self employed so can pick and choose my days. Oh, I'm about as useful as a chocolate fire guard, but I am good at holding a light, haha.

Braveheart

Gareth,
Thanks for your kind offer to help. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:
I'm ok for now but will bear it mind. Just remind me not to ask you to fit my brake calipers :lol: ;-) .

I'm gutted myself at not being able to track at this event. Was hoping to be much further forward with the car and test it then. I may pop up to KH to meet peolpe, look at the cars and offer support if needed. Waiting now to see who is going to this event from the forum.

In theory, I could bolt replacement panels back on and take it along but in reality, I should take this opertunity now that the car's stripped to finish various other mods that I have not yet got around to doing. It's a long list... :shock: ;-)

Engine: Fit;
660cc injectors.
GT2871r turbo.
19 row oil cooler with thermo sandwich plate.
SS manifold. (brace, lag and fit)
GB SS elbow and downpipe. (mount boss, lag and fit)
Nismo engine mounts.
Greddy electronic boost controller.
E-manage Untimate. (fit and map)
Re-design Induction setup.

Interior:
Replace bucket sliders with fixed rails.
Move battery to boot.
Manual Gauges; water temp, oil temp, boost and AFM. (design mounts and fit)

Suspension:
Whiteline ARB's front and rear with new drop links.
Camber adjustment kit.
Set-up.

Refit and paint bodywork...

Ouch.... better print this list off to keep me focused.

P

pulsarboby

il check out one of the crossmembers for you today scotty to see if thats bent (cant remember what there like tbh)

i agree with you, get car sorted now before the season really kicks off, then you should hopefully have a bit of fun all year! besides youll need that extra bit of oomph for when i come up to see you in the summer:lol: :lol:

Braveheart

Cheers Bob.... this weather is spuring me on now and I hope to get many hours in on the car. I'm actually enjoying it.
Lunch over.... ice mented so I'm off to get stuck in about it now!
Very much looking forward to our incounter.... ;-) :thumbsup: