just read this on the mlr

Uncle Winnet

I haven't read a max power in about 3 years but while visiting my bro in hospital I decided to buy him a copy to read.

I found an article in it about a company called frozen solid. They use cryogenics to strengthen everything from complete blocks,pistons,clutch's,brake pads,brake discs. Everything!!!!

They had a case study of a guy who had a 500 bhp sunny gti-r and was eating through gearboxs on a monthly basis. He got the box cryogenicaly frozen and the box lasted the whole track season and he even went and sold it on to someone who was using it for hill climb sessions. And it only cost him a couple of hundred pounds

They said that brake pads and discs could last upto 4 times longer. Now this sounds a bit good to be true but it could be the answer to the warped discs everyone is experiencing.

So I am asking has anyone used this and if so how good is it?

Here is there link

http://www.frozensolid.co.uk/

john

ashills

yep the guy there talking about is 00sid but they didnt mention it was a quaiffe box lol
but he is stil using there services on the new box and has lots of stuff treated by them its very good and been used by the guys in usa for years now

Keira

doh..allen beat me to it...

the guy that they are on about is simon (00sid), greg (the chap at frozen solid) asked if he could use our cars for the feature, no point using mine as its in bits :lol: but si run very well last year and had no issues with the box that was treated. The box that is now in malta, i believe 'trip' brought it.

we now have casings, final drive, mainshafts and 5th synchro all treated by greg at frozen solid, si's box is back together with the ppg kit and the car will be running soon

Nad

Thought I had sorted a discount out with someone like that, obviously didnt see it through. Reminds me, discounts :doh:

Keira

neither of us are paid up members so wouldn't have known about any discount anyways;)

greg sorted us out, he's a sound bloke and took a genuine interest in our problem, be interesting to see what happens with si's new gearbox set up this year,

Keira

forgot to add,

si also managed his lifelong dream of being in maxpower :lol: twice infact :lol:

Trip

diesel weasel said:

the guy that they are on about is simon (00sid), greg (the chap at frozen solid) asked if he could use our cars for the feature, no point using mine as its in bits :lol: but si run very well last year and had no issues with the box that was treated. The box that is now in malta, i believe 'trip' brought it.

we now have casings, final drive, mainshafts and 5th synchro all treated by greg at frozen solid, si's box is back together with the ppg kit and the car will be running soon
It's been sitting there for ages. hopefully i will manage to put in next month and "hopefully" it can also withstand my abuse.

Frozen Solid Site said:
* Deep Cryogenic Treatment creates a denser molecular structure, resulting in a finer contact surface area that reduces friction, heat and wear

* Deep Cryogenic Treatment does not cause dimensional changes
I'm not a molecular engineer, but surely the above two statements can't both be true?

PaulB

hmmmm, i know what you mean. If it was frozen it would expand then contract again once thawed. I dont know what really happens in the process, it seems clever.

You know what they say though, "if you cant impress em with science, baffle em with bullshit"

nismoboy

diesel weasel said:

if this process using a cryotreated quaiffe gbox works and holds up the why has he got rid of it? why bother with a dog box if u can get a syncro box to hold big power?

ashills

part of reason is that you can gain nearly half a second on the 1/4 mile strip and although it made things better
straight cut gears totally removed the stresses on the casing as even with what si did it was still just moving the problem around the box rather than getting rid of it for good

Keira

agree with everything allen has said :

the straight cut gears and treated casing are about as good as you are going to get without spending obscene amounts of money, although saying that, its still not a cheap option when you add everything up :shock:

Keira

Major_Sarcasm said:
I'm not a molecular engineer, but surely the above two statements can't both be true?
the treatment works on the make up of the metal, it closes up all the microscopic cracks, fissures and imperfections, which are so small it will have no effect on the overall size of anything that goes in the tank.

chiefpulsar

Fire & skill said:
how much do they charge for this?
depends of what you want doing as the engine block will cost about £450 but i belive you will have to strp the engine first.

I will hold my hands up and say i did buy that copy of lax power, and found the frezzing process very interesting espically as a GTi-R owner was mentioned.

Also the 50 bargain buys booklet that came with it had a GTi-R in at number 6 in there top 10 hatchbacks section