Is 1.2 bar boost safe? Not to worry it was a shed!!

monsterGTi-R

I'm hopefully buying an 'R' this weekend and the engine is pretty much standard so is it safe to run it at 1.2 bar? As far as I know the clutch is still standard as well. Is this good or not? Any help would be great!

Davey

if it hasnt got a fuel controller,or aftermarket ecu, no,it's not safe m8, and if its a standard clutch, it will be fried in no time at all
BTW, expect loads of miserable bast's to moan at you for asking this question(have a look in the FAQ's) :wink:

antgtir

No its defo not safe, its not really fully safe running it at 1 bar with no mods to ecu fuel controller etc etc.

Ive been looking into this myself and have found that there are a few jobs to do before you raise the boost.

I mean you can do it but definately expect things to go wrong, i wouldn't chance it mate, goodluck with the buy. Actually before you do (im sure you've already done this so ignore me if you have) have a look at the buying guidlines for the GTiR, some helpfull tips there to ensure you get a decent one :wink:

J

J-GTi-R

No its defo not safe, its not really fully safe running it at 1 bar with no mods to ecu fuel controller etc etc.
That's not really true, there are plenty of 1 bar cars running around with no fuel or ECU mods. An uprated fuel pump is wise, for peace of mind, but even that's not strictly necessary. However for 1.2, I'd want to see some fueling control and an uprated fuel pump, as it's potentially running very lean at the top end on that boost.

C

charlie

even if its fueling ok, expect to need a new clutch before long at that boost.

Also, assuming from what u said it hasnt been done, lose the cat, change the exhaust and get a decent air filter too.

jonesgti_r

Personnaly the first thing I would do would be to get it to a tuner who knows what hes doing and get the fueling checked

O

Odin

jonesgti_r said:
Personnaly the first thing I would do would be to get it to a tuner who knows what hes doing and get the fueling checked
I agree with jonesgti-r just to be on the safe side :wink:

P

pschurr

How do any of you blokes actually KNOW that this boost is going to lean out the mixture.

Do any of you actually know WHY it will do that?

For example, who knows the airflow limit of the AFM... meaning at 6krpm with standard cams, at 1.2bar can the AFM calibrate this flow? or is the resulting air flow more than the afm can measure.

Who has a fuel-pressure gauge mounted to show at what RPM/boost combination the pressure on the rail starts to fall.

Is anyone monitoring the duty cycle of their injectors, and therefore when using factory pump/fpr, what is the duty cycle at 6krpm/1.2bar. With factory fuel system, at what rpm/boost combination does the duty cycle get too high (above 90%).

What I mean is... lots of people jumped on and said "no way man you'll destroy something", but without offering any real data to support those positions.

I don't have the answers myself. But I'd say that to go to 1.2bar you'd want to do it with a wideband O2 sensor stuck up the pipe, an injector duty-cycle sensor, and fuel-pressure gauge all in place. Then you can actually know where the limitations are and how to address them.

peter

S

Ste-v-i-r

Know where ur coming from Peter ; i like to know every little detail inside out and understand ( or try ) whats going on in my engine.
At the end of the day though, experience counts a hell of a lot, and a good tuner will already be aware of the limitations and weak points of the car.
Had mine checked over, tested and serviced by Hiteq. All ignition components renewed, uprated pump and iridium plugs = safe at 1bar running slightly rich.
The details you mention are valid, but only further up the tuning ladder where these values are more critical for both performance and reliability.
As i understand it, a healthy R will run fine on 1bar with enough fuel supplied. At 1.2bar more emphasis on fuel control ( eg : A'pexi ) and cooler charge ( FMIC ). Personally i'd rather have a uprated rebuild above 1bar but thats just me!

Steve.

J

J-GTi-R

pschurr said:
How do any of you blokes actually KNOW that this boost is going to lean out the mixture.

Do any of you actually know WHY it will do that?

For example, who knows the airflow limit of the AFM... meaning at 6krpm with standard cams, at 1.2bar can the AFM calibrate this flow? or is the resulting air flow more than the afm can measure.

Who has a fuel-pressure gauge mounted to show at what RPM/boost combination the pressure on the rail starts to fall.

Is anyone monitoring the duty cycle of their injectors, and therefore when using factory pump/fpr, what is the duty cycle at 6krpm/1.2bar. With factory fuel system, at what rpm/boost combination does the duty cycle get too high (above 90%).

What I mean is... lots of people jumped on and said "no way man you'll destroy something", but without offering any real data to support those positions.

I don't have the answers myself. But I'd say that to go to 1.2bar you'd want to do it with a wideband O2 sensor stuck up the pipe, an injector duty-cycle sensor, and fuel-pressure gauge all in place. Then you can actually know where the limitations are and how to address them.

peter
I completely agree with what you're saying, but at the same time how does the seller KNOW it isn't leaning out at the top end for what ever reason. Without a report from a RR session (or rad session) using a wideband lamda sensor proving that this car is capable of fueling for that amount of boost, I'd want to know that at least the car has been built with the generally assumed requirements for that level of boost.

By all means, the car may be able to run 1.2 bar on stock everything, but knowing the amount of blown-engines that have come about because people haven't built the car for the boost they run I would play it safe unless I have the above report in my hands! This can be done, £75 for a session at Powerstation will tell you everything you need to know about how the car is fueling and if it's det'ing at all, but if a car has just been stuck on 1.2 bar and the seller's standing there going 'well it hasn't blown up yet', I'd be walking away very quickly...

A

Anonymous

Full mongoose exhaust from the turbo back no cat 5' pipe
Blitz turbo timer
Blitz sus filter
Magnecoor leads
Hks plugs
Walbro fuel pump
Skyline front mounted intercooler
Greddy boost gague
Exhaust gas temp gague
greddy profec b boost controller
unichip (or fuel controller)
rolling road set up at 1.2 bar

To be on the safe side i would at least have 90% of the following done when going for 1.2 bar set up

A

Anonymous

The 1 bar is safe as long as the original fuel pump is not week

again you need to get that checked to be sure

monsterGTi-R

Not to worry now though as I didnt get that 'R' in the end because it was a right shed. I travelled 140 miles in total to see a pile of s!*# :evil: . It wasnt even worth a grand!! Ive got a good mind to stick the reg number on the site to warn anyone else about seeing it, anyway got a good one now which was right on my doorstep! Pretty much standard! :D :D