I'm BL**DY FED UP!!!!!!!!!

Shaun

:cry: Hi guy's,i bought a shift light the other day,fitted it and all works fine :D ,now the thing is i had to test it out :D and after a couple of times driving the car and changing at 7k revs i did the usual wind down(drive for a couple of mile at normal road speeds) and then reversed onto my diveway and let the car tick over for about 5-10mins,after about 5-6 mins it started smoking from the exhaust,a bluey grey smoke :twisted: :cry: for about 30 seconds and then cleared :? Took it for a run last night with no problems :? Started the car up at my mates today after it being stood for about 2hours and after about 5-6 mins samething......started smoking again :twisted: :cry: and lasted for a couple of mins this time,so on the way home i cut the turbo in (nothing mad)and no smoke and no problems,reverse back onto the drive and leave it ticking over again samething again :twisted: :cry: smoking again for about 20 seconds,then cleared :? :? Took the spark plugs out and they were fine,no signs of burning oil :? :? Also no oil in the intake or dumpvalve :? :? Any ideas :?: Could it be the turbo oil seals but only on the exhaust side :?: Also if it were rings or ringlands wouldnt it smoke all the time :?:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Yes, I'd expect smoke all the time if it was the rings, and possibly if it was the ringlands. (they could also loose you compression depending how badly they'd gone)

It does sound abit like the turbo to me. Take the inlet off if you can and chack for play in the shaft.

Shaun

:D Thanks Fastguy,put my mind at rest 8) Just a quick up date,just been to my Dads(4 mile),parked up for an hour,started the car,no smoke,drove the long way back approx 6 mile and as my driveway is sloped to the passenger side i thought i would let it tick over on the road instead.After about 7-8 mins with the oil temp upto 76deg's low and behold it started to smoke,but this time it was just grey smoke and not a whiff of oil anywhere,so i was thinking perhaps it could be the breather system as it only happens on tick over,what do you think :?:

P.s,gonna be removing the breather system tomorrow and put a nice filter on it and link the throttle bodies together with vacum hose to see if that will cure it :wink:

Shaun

:D Thanks Damian 8) I've now sorted the problem.After talking to Steve Pudney yesterday,it set my mind ticking,Steve said "i thought bluey/grey smoke was overfueling",i had also had some missfiring with this problem and after Fast Guy suggested a compression test i thought i would do one 8) So i went to Halfrauds and bought a tester,removed the sparkplug leads and immediatley noticed rust half way up the lead,then it all fell into place,No1 plug hole had been full of water causing it to overfuel causing bluey/grey smoke(thanks Steve 8) )So i continued with the compression test and heres what i found:-
No1-158psi 8) No2-158psi 8) No3-158psi 8) No4-159psi 8)

So i'm well happy,and thanks Fast Guy and Steve for some sound advice 8)