ideal road car power

williams

whats peoples opinions on the best power for a road car?

300, mid 300s, over 400?

its got to get to a point where you have too much power for narrow UK back roads.

I think the limits of the stock turbo have been pushed now to the point where swapping to a disco spud will only yield another 20bhp or so, which makes the £1000+ for a new one seem poor value for money. Previous thinking was that a stock turbo was only good for 1 bar in one of those fantastic internet fable. I reckon for most people a GTX28RS would be an awesome choice, should spool like a GT28RS and flow enough for a shade under 400bhp. Personally I got bored of 400bhp, but I've got a warped sense of speed.

red reading

I think the limits of the stock turbo have been pushed now to the point where swapping to a disco spud will only yield another 20bhp or so, which makes the £1000+ for a new one seem poor value for money. Previous thinking was that a stock turbo was only good for 1 bar in one of those fantastic internet fable. I reckon for most people a GTX28RS would be an awesome choice, should spool like a GT28RS and flow enough for a shade under 400bhp. Personally I got bored of 400bhp, but I've got a warped sense of speed.

Totally agree with what he said! and 400bhp does get boring!

t16coupe

im running 1.15 bar on a mines ecu and turbo technics t28 and find mine plenty fast enough but if i do replace turbo it will be a gt2871 with 0. 86ar std gtir fitment

pulsar_stu

Oh ok, so thats why they are hardly ever heard of now.

Thanks for that info :)

Fusion Ed

You don't hear much of the disco potato nower days do you. Why is that?
They used to be the turbo of choice years back.
Because they are horrible on the pulsar! I've never rated one and about 10 ish years ago when I first had experience of one knew they were a bad choice. Every time I map one the owner is disappointed. There are in my humble opinion only two turbos of choice for a normal road gtir. 2871 or 3071. 2871 .64 spools faster and makes way more power (upto about 400) than the stock turbo. 3071 spools about the same as stock turbo but will do 450+ :)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Standard turbo, 300bhp @0.8bar its been the most fun, most reliable and I've never got bored of it!

I'd rather spend the money to make 4-500bhp on the handling and fun factor...oh wait...I did! :thumb:

Juggs

300bhp at 0.8 bar jesus thats good going! What other modifications do you have to make that Andy?
I got mine pretty much standard bar a front mount, wanted it quicker within the time it took me to read '1 bar mod' :lol:
Added the usual bits and got up to 1 bar which seemed to make a huge amount of difference at the time but again a few weeks down the line i am looking for more!
I think most people with gti-r's etc think like this whatever bhp you have you soon get used to it/bored of it, just up to the individual as to when they want to draw the line and obviously how deep your pockets are! ;-)

Fusion Ed

Getting a stock turbo to make 300hp on the dyno is getting harder these days. I reckon they are all getting too old (the turbos etc)

chopper

mine is a road car and when the standard turbo goes bang i will get a 2871 0.64, a nice 360BHP and fast spool. if a good disco was on here for a good price i might be tempted. i'd be happy with 340ish with fast spool. would be more than enough for a good laugh.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
330-350 bhp. Anymore than that just starts getting expensive and starts to sacrifice reliability ;-)
Agree with the above, keep it under 360 bhp. I remember Rob and I having the same conversation about 6 years ago, after we had both spent ridiculous amounts of money, time and effort chasing more power. I think I had the most fun with 2871 .64>flowed head>full 3" Janspeed exhaust>1.4 bar boost>Quaife>OS Giken> sensible braking and handling mods.
To my mind, when shifting up through the gears, foot to the floor in 3rd having that "she's going to blow" niggle in the back of your mind is the killer, extra fun will always be had when your as confident as you can be that the mods you've made are as bullet proof as they can be. Ignore the pissing contest, it's not about bolting on a bunch of recommended bits blindly and hoping for the best, it's about the complete build up of a car thats safe, build with parts that compliment each other, a good balance of build strength, braking, handling and power that you as the driver can control, that's the best recipe for fun in any car.

mohsan

love this thread, as I been wanting the power but understand power is nothing without control and I want to keep it reliable and something I can have daily and not when its back out of the garage lol. Got the 2871 on now and got the maf and some bigger injectors 584cc wondering if they would give me the 360/70 bhp, want more torque then anything, super fast road car.

mohsan

well Ed buddy will be coming down for the map, am thinking should i resale the injectors and get some 600 + or 700's, too get better and reliable power. Although Im not after top bhp, more torque for real road use ability. Dont want it going past the unreliable zone and I strongly believe its there at 400bhp, am beginning to think less now too.