IC pipe touching manifold

smiddy

Hi guys, I think I have this in the correct section.

The hose on my IC pipe is touching the manifold, will this cause me any problems?

Also, am I missing two pieces of trim in the footwells?

Trondelond

It would be easier to get an impression if the pictures were just a fraction smaller!

You are missing two pieces of trim, yes. And personally I wouldn't sleep at night with the piping that close. Tried rotating the housing?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
That pipe will probably melt through given time. I don't know how good a job the heat shield does.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'd suggest getting a longer exit pipe for that compressor housing, then it won't be quite so tight.

smiddy

For trondolond, some smaller pics ;-)

The heat sheild has been cut away to make room for the pipe. Is it hard to turn the housing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Trondelond

My eyes! :D

In theory it shouldn't be hard to turn it - it's a matter of losening the bolts that hold the compressor housing to the rest of the turbo-doohicky, and then turning the housing. In real life it can be problematic it seems, due to actuator configurations and whatnot. Depends on your configuration I suppose. :)

darkyGTI-R

Yes that will melt as stated above!
I'm not sure if hard silicone hoses will withstand that sort of heat even with the heat shield there it still fooking burns my hands when I need to do stuff in the engine bay!

Tim

There isn't any heat shield there, it has been cut away to allow for the silicon.

How long has it been like that, surely if it's been like that for a while then it wont cause you a problem?

ollydj

i had that problem with my pipe work touching the manifold and the catchcan, i just slackend the bolts on the compressor housing and turned the pipe into the right place and retightend

nitrosgti-r

I had this problem when I went to castle combe and it burnt through the silicone and i had no heat shield on mine. I had to buy a new bit of pipe from merin motorsport ( castle combe on site shop ) and I lagged it up. Basicly, that will blow very soon!!