hydraulic handbrake

A

antilag

wat u guys reackon im getting a hydraulic handbrake fitted rite up by the steering wheelso i can get a bit more rear end out action i didnt realise they were pretty resonable priced at about 150 - 400 depending on the quality ect

S

Sirnixalot

if you do use it for that you have to dump the clutch when the hand brake is engaged

A

antilag

yeh i no i dnt like doing that prcess at the moment with my soggy handbrake but with this one i can kick the clutch and pull the hand brake at a fraction off the time and the car should b a lot more controlable and should b able to throw the car round with $hit loads more control :)

A

antilag

i ent sure but u can leave the original setup there for mot reasons or summin

MarkTurbo

I was thinking about this at work today cos i'm working on the hydraulic handbrake pipes for the Evo 8 at the moment :p

I know some evo's (7's i think) have handbrake release which disengages the centre diff when the handbrake is applied. But what effect would a hydraulic h/brake have on a car like the R?

I would of thought that due to it being permanently 4wd the back wheels wouldn't lock?? wouldn't it just slow the car down? And if you can lock the back wheels wouldn't that put stress on the centre diff too due to the front and back wheels turning at different speeds?

I spent quite a bit of time trying to work all this out at work today :oops:

A

antilag

as above really mate id aproach a corner kick the clutch down and pull the handbrake and turn all instantly and it will send the car sideways then nail it to gain all the control back ect and try and hold the slide

MarkTurbo

Aaaah haaah i see now. So its not like a front wheel drive car (obviously :oops: ) where you can slide all the way round a corner on the handbake, its just a quick pull on the handbrake, enough to step the back end out into a slide yeah.

A

antilag

yeh well ive been doing sum sliding in the car in the wet but having to do it at speeds above 50mph to get the slide and its not very controlable as sumtimes the handbrake does nothing over times it has me fighting for my life lol u never no wat your gonna get its like poking your nob through a barn door

MarkTurbo

antilag said:
u never no wat your gonna get its like poking your nob through a barn door
:lol: Thats an interesting way of putting it :lol:

My handbrake does f**k all if you pull it up while the car is moving, if i want to get the back end out i usually have to give it a bit of a flick then lift off to get the back to come round then back on the power.

I suppose a hydraulic handbrake would be more predictable and give you better control

A

antilag

yeh the problem i got with the big turbo is that acelaration is alot smoother lower down"smoother lol laggyer" so i struggle to get the arse out but my mates runnin standard turbo setup 300+hp and he just boots it in a bend in the wet and the back comes out im jealous as i cant do donuts either :x

P

paulrandy

Just a couple of points, you'll have to leave the original handbrake fitted and working as the parking brake is required to be cable operated for the mot and be carefull if you plan on teeing into the rear brake line and using the original rear calipers, if you hand brake and foot brake at the same time the brakes won't disengage on some cars, can't remember exactly why and ive drunk too much to figure it out in ma head! If it's possible i'd get a 2nd set of calipers, fiesta or nova fronts or something and get mounts welded on the rear uprights so the handbrake is a totally seperate system.

jonee

handbrake

hi,i think that rally design in faversham kent do a hyd h/brake kit for most cars.i went to elvington to watch a drift club practice session bout a year and a half ago and they didn't use the h/brake at all :D

A

antilag

they got rear wheel drive though lol most jap drifters use the handbrake alot in drifting i never used it once in me skyline but had to in my 200sx to start it off

A hydraulic rear hand brake would be lovely.
DORI DORI......

Btw all my 180sx (RPS13) friends, they have modified their rear brakes to a Skyline R32 rear brakes to allow them to have fun with the handbrakes. Hehe.
2pot brakes with drums for handbrakes.
Btw how is the Drift scene in your part of the world?

O

Odin

My mate did this to his car and it failed the M O T so make sure
you keep the standard handbrake as well :wink:

A

antilag

yeh dont worry bout mot who needs them rite :wink:
the drift seen is picking up mate i think were a long way behind australia and japan but im sure we will get there.i keep pondering over getting a 180sx drift car from japan but end up spunking the money b4 i go through with it

I thought u guys would have a field day with all the cool rwd cars u get from your part of the world.
Let me see what would be a great European drift car.
M3, M5, 911 GT3, Ford Sierra Cosworth, Maserati, well too many to mentioned.
Well then again from my part of the world we drool at Continental cars and maybe likewise for u guys in UK.

But end of the day since i've a GTi-R i rather not downgrade to a 180sx coz i'm like the rarest SR20DET powered car on the planet :p
But i certainly would love to have an S15 Spec R as my D1 car or a Skyline GTS as a drift car.

A

antilag

'rushes down the road to get a 911 to drift in lol none of these cars u listed are any good for drifting really fords handle like $hit posches ermmmmmmm the engine in the wrong place m3 and m5 would b ok but to dear old corolla's 200sx 180sx would b best options.my r34 gtt was the best car i ever drove for drifting but my mates r33gts sucks and handels like $hit