How Long to Run in Engine and Remap?

skiddusmarkus

How many miles have people put on their rebuilt engines before mapping them?I have heard stories of people doing thousands but I hardly do any mileage a year, only about 1,000 miles last year so its not pactical.
I have read various guides on running in engines and it seems all the important running in is done in the 1st 0-100 miles or so, that being the rings.What about the rest of the engine?I don't see why a new engine would need thousands of miles to bed in.My engine doesn't feel tight at all and I think I can do more harm by not getting it mapped, with it running he standard ecu but having a different turbo, compression ratio, cams etc.

I have a figure of 500-1000 miles in my mind, what do you think of this?The engine has done about 220 miles so far.

Geo3

I was advised 1000mile run in then remap chap which hopefully will be on the cards soon with an oil change! Horsham developmets did me a run in map for my set up bigger turbo ect.....

red reading

I do about 250 on car engine's,and 50 on my bikes,they are normally worn out by 25000 miles from running them in quick though.

gtirjoey

I don't think there is a definative answer I gave my engine 500miles before blasting it properly, but still took to the red line ocassionely even the first time I drove it.
Although you should use the running in period as an excuse to go on long journeys in the r

skiddusmarkus

Well I have a long weekend off so was going to put a couple of hundred miles on it doing early morning drives so no traffic about.

Geo3

In my personal experiene i would drive it normally but try not to go to mentally hard on the boost for first 1000 miles

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
0 - 50Miles - upto 5000rpm, barely creeping into boost. On and off throttle to bed rings in.

51 - 100Miles - upto 5500rpm, half upto half bar boost

100 - 200miles - upto 6500rpm, 0.7bar full standard boost

201 - 250miles - upto 7500rpm, 1bar boost.

This is what I did. I also cleared it with the engine builder first. Not 100% on the rev caps along the miles but it was something like that.. Oil changes at each stage with Millers Running In Oil. Can't remember if I was quite as aggressive but I didn't pussy around running it in. Honed Bored are much smoother these days due to mordern technologies and so require a harder run in. Back in the day when the bores where a little rough then you would use a gentle run in.

I also know that some garages (Wallace Performace) would run in all their engines on the rolling road in a very short time and distance with nothing but good results.

There was a great read on it somewhere.. I think this was it: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Good Luck..

skiddusmarkus

What grade oil is that Rishi?I want to drop it this weekend and was going to just buy some decent mineral/semi synthetic.

I've read the breaking in guide that pops up on searches, it makes sense to me.