How fuel needed for 15 mins on track?

S

Stoned

I'm just deciding if I should go out my way and top up with Optimax when I reach Trax tomorrow. I should have about 1/3 to 1/2 a tank spare when I arrive but I dont know how much I will burn up in 15 minutes on 1.1 bar.

Possibly quite a bit?

What do you all reckon.

Hill_Billy

when i run at the local drag day over here.. i'm using just over 1/4 tank in 3 runs... if that helps.... prob not.... never mind..

I'd say you'd need atleast 2/3rd's of a tank to be on the safe side.
Last thing you want is to be halfway through your session and start to get fuel surge coming out of corners, cos then its end of session for you :cry:

J

jiw

yeah id say the same, i had fuel surge once in mine on a long sweeping bend at 70mph ish, as the engine cut it got quite nasty and the rear stepped out, luckily power returned to correct it and i escaped what could of been a nasty crash, best be safe and have plenty in, jeff :wink:

K

KRS

Same thing happened to me on a rather large roundabout, car flicked out sideways... years of owning E30's saved me a big repair bill

S

Stoned

OK i'll find a Shell close by

Dont want anything happening

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It must be my lack of power then. I usually have 1/4 of a tank for dragging and when I go home (3-4 runs normally) my level hasn't changed.
I'd have thought even if you could do 30miles in 15mins at 10mpg you'd only use 3 gallons which is just over 1/4 tank, so half or a little more should be enough to last and to hopefully avoid any fuel surge issues.

Fast Guy said:
so half or a little more should be enough to last and to hopefully avoid any fuel surge issues.
But would you wanna risk it if you've only got 1 session and not enough track time to set a best lap anyway :?: The extra weight really won't be an issue unless your gunnin for a good lap time :wink:
From a full tank of fuel I got 1 20min session and then prob 10-15 mins of the second session before I got fuel surge.