hks cam pulleys

youngsyp

carlengerer said:
i thought one of the reasons for adjustable cam pulleys was the weight.
It's not something I would worry about.

I say that as, chaps with the lightweight engine pulley sets say that they've not noticed any difference with them.
So, with the cam sprockets being so small, and the stock ones not being that heavy anyway, any weight loss would be indistinguishable.

The only reason why I'd buy adjustable cam sprockets, is for the adjustability ! ;-)

O

Odin

youngsyp said:
To you maybe but, you didn't start the thread ! ;-)

With that in mind, are you telling me that when you put your car together, you didn't worry about the finer points ? Like compression ratios, cam timing, exhaust coatings......

It's these things that can make a big difference between an average car, and a great car. ;-)

Well yes but I didn'y dissect every single detail and go reading every scrap of info I could get my grubby hands, I read a couple of thing on each subject made my mind up and got what I wanted, I didn't phone every single supplier on the planet before making my mind up and I never gave cam pulley weight a single thought :roll: , I was told I needed cam pulleys by Agra so I bought a set simple as that.

Some of you lot think far to much :doh: :roll: .

Rob

youngsyp

Odin said:
Some of you lot think far to much :doh: :roll: .

Rob
And if we didn't, you'd be jumping up and down saying we didn't think enough ! :der:

And I hardly think our short debate was "dissecting every single detail". There were three posts, mentioning weight and inertia. We were simply attempting to help a poster out !

Anyway, we could discuss this all day but, I'm bored with it now. So, in summary:

Imho, buy adjustable cam sprockets for there cam timing adjustment attributes only. Not because they may or may not be lighter than the stock, non adjustable cam sprockets.
Go for what ever brand you like as, they're all tried and tested now.

Paul

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
youngsyp said:
are you telling me that when you put your car together, you didn't worry about the finer points ? Like compression ratios, cam timing, exhaust coatings......
He didn't he paid someone else to do that for him :lol: :lol:

O

Odin

stevepudney said:
He didn't he paid someone else to do that for him :lol: :lol:

Yes as would most people ;-) , But I told them what compression I wanted to run but left the cam spec up to them ;-) .

Rob

A

a11ova

i have ordered my tomei cams and sprockets and they have cost me £425 delivered. However on the valve spring front i paid 195 for cosworth ones which supposrt a 12mm lift

O

Odin

a11ova said:
However on the valve spring front i paid 195 for cosworth ones which supposrt a 12mm lift

The first set of cams I bought where Tomei 260x12mm lift, But I ended up selling them because they needed to much head work to make them work, I went for Kent fast road cams in the end, Just because it gave me more options to change them at a later date if needed.

Rob

A

a11ova

Odin said:
The first set of cams I bought where Tomei 260x12mm lift, But I ended up selling them because they needed to much head work to make them work, I went for Kent fast road cams in the end, Just because it gave me more options to change them at a later date if needed.

Rob
got ya dude. well im having the engine built for me so i will leave that headache for him to deal with lol. I have gone for 270 with 12.5mm lift. He modifying the head to gain the extra .5mm required. Hoping to hit over 500 with the spec i'll be running so here's fingers crossed :)