Help with my new setup

shroom

Alright guys, :)

I am just after some advice realy as i have been reading up on the forums and tbh im not quiet clear on a few things. Originaly I was going to just stay "stock" with the turbo and internals, but after a while that idea flew out the window with me purchasing a gt3071r for a christmas pressy to myself,:chained:

I have a apexi SAFC 2 and a BLiTZ boost controller and power meter,

I was going to have the standard turbo set up to around 1.3 bar with the apexi doing its stuff for fueling etc,

But know I have purchased the bigger turbo I have been reading around about the z32 afm, now im not quiet clear on this with the z32 and what the stock one will be able to do compared,

I want to do all the fabrication of the turbo i.e bolting it all in place and sorting the air intake and front mount out, but im wondering what can I actualy do with the standard afm. as when I bolt it all up I would idealy like to then be able to atleast drive it onto a trailer or to be set up.

would a gt3071r on stock boost pressure and the standard maf be a no go for my engine to be able to drive it at all? this is just a pre measure before I can get it set up.

with the z32 if I wired all this in place and sorted it out would this completely ruin the running of the car without having the car set up with the apexi?

sorry for all the questions but I have read things in previous threads of people going on about goaly gloves when a gt3071r is mentioned with stock afm? :lol:

thanks for all the help guys your such a great help :thumbsup:

darkyGTI-R

I have a Blizt boost gauge lol I'm sure there's lots of people and advice on here mate they soon post,probably been mad xmas shopping lol

shroom

thanks rich thisis probably the best car forum I have been on, blow yourown trumpets guys and help :p

stumo

OK, this is probibly wrong and i'm sure someone will correct me but,

If you fit the turbo (3071) you're going to have to limit the boost so you don't exceed the airflow capability of the stock AFM.

I don't know the capability of the safc (cos i've never played with one, buttons and flashy lights don't interest me and i don't know why people just don't get an ECU sorted.....nistune is cheap enough) but once the AFM voltage ceiling is reached there's nothing you can do. I don't know if you can use a Z32MAF with the safc but i doubt it.

You're probibly going to have to keep the boost level below say 0.8Bar, possibly lower, say 0.5. To do that you're going to have to purchase another actuator as the one you got with the turbo is probibly set at 1Bar (unless you got a Forge (or similar) adjustable actuator) as there is no other way of doing it (your super duper Blitz deffo won't do it).

The Forge actuator will cost you about £100, once you've done the other mods you can then just swap the spring in there and up it to 1Bar or whatever you want it to work at.

You will also need injectors, depending on what power you eventually want you'll need something like 800 or so cc's.

Make sure your fuel pump is capable of pumping enough fuel too.

I still have the goaly gloves, ready to catch all your exploding engine parts :thumbsup:

snoon

defo best idea to get your standard ecu chipped and use Nistune rather than the SAFC.

Or put the extra cash in and go stand alone. Something like the Haltech/Motec won't need an AFM as you will use a MAP sensor.

stumo

Defo best idea to get your standard ecu chipped and use Nistune rather than the SAFC
Or put the extra cash in and go stand alone. Something like the Haltech/Motec won't need an AFM as you will use a MAP sensor.

so we go from Nistune (approx 300 quid) to Haltech/Motec (approx 1000+ quid) and the guy doesn't even have a Z32 yet?:roll:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
What Stu says basically. A 1 Bar 3071 will easily max out your standard MAF

Also, you can't fit a Z32AFM to your car without remapping as it will run lean IIRC, the SAFC2 has a Z32 setting which will enable normal running. The injectors will max out quite quickly too and 1Bar might just be too much.

Is it too late to trade in your 3071 for a disco potato? To use a 3071 properly needs a lot more work than you'd think

shroom

thanks for the replies guys,

thats realy exactly why i posted up, I had the safc for the previous setup i was after so was just wondering if it would be any use with a "bigger" setup, I know its not as capable so who is the best person to speak to about the nistune,

so fuck my safc off, contact someone bout nistune, would need the old z32
bigger injectors? realy 800cc nothing smaller? what would be needed for under 400bhp,
a load of duck tape bailer twine and sweat and we have something like a working pulsar
or I can post some pictures up of my horror story

I know its not as simple as ABC and im sure you get lots of people on hear boring you to death asking about "big" setups and realy dont have a clue, but hopefully if nothing else I can learn a bit in the proccess from you guys :) , its a long term thing and im interested to learn whilst I do things, im usualy on the modifiers but came over hear for some greener grass hehe,

thanks again guys

Tom

stumo

realy 800cc nothing smaller?
you could probibly use 700's if you don't want 400hp.

A 3071 usually gets to 400HP at about 1.4Bar of boost.

a load of duck tape bailer twine and sweat and we have something like a working pulsar
Don't leave out the tears, empty pockets and new found swearwords........:lol:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Welcome then , we all had to start somewhere.

Just read your first post again. If you are only going to a trailer or tuner and can keep the revs below 2.5Krpm then your standard maf, injectors and ECU will be fine.

For a 3071 I'd say a 700cc is the minimum you need to get the benefit of the turbo. You could go lower but you will be limiting the boost you run for the sake of the injectors. I run 750's which have been fine up to 1.9Bar but Stu with hhis 2.2l engine was getting close to capacity with 800s.

Is your engine forged, if not you might need those goalie gloves again at somepoint.

Jim

shroom

thanks for the replies guys I might have a re think,

I am going to be building up a second engine with the forged pistons I have, but I found out from a previous thread that they are the old style JE pistons so as Bob and empty pockets have told me they are reletively expensive to get rings, I will go down that ruite and mock it all up on another engine before I do anything so I can spare you the horror story lol

1) so I will get my piston rings, get a bottom end that I will get re bored to 87mm to suite them, anyone have a full bottom end by the way?
2) sort that out so I have a good base to go from,
3) look for a resonable head
4) buy some 750cc injectors, do you need certian ones that will fit?
5) save up for the ecu to be chipped with nistune, any people you know of to be good at this?
6) cry at how much I have spent

that has got to be a seriously simplified list of things to do lol,

P

pulsarboby

ive ran 1.6 bar on 660 injectors with no problem but as everyone has suggested i would say 700-800cc if you plan on running more boost than that.

think youll deffo need a forged engine to run this kind of boost as youll be knocking on the 450 door which is way too much for standard engine.

unfortunately theres no cheap way of getting big power, cut corners and itll bite you on the ass lol

shroom

yes exactly bob,

it is a "project" well I call it that so they dont think im crazy spending all this money on something I hardly drive lol, but Im trying not to skimp on anything so thought I needed to ask you knowledgeable guys about it, I will see what a local engineers place will say reguarding the block etc but you will probably be hearing from me in the future :)

thanks again guys

Tom

icecool70

They say the standard engine if been looked after is good for 400 horses right or wrong? so in theory you dont need a forged lump to run a gt3071r? so if i was looking for say between 350 to 380 which i think is more than enough for me on these cars would you still max out the injectors and maf?
see mine at the moment with a t28 hybrid and a mines ecu with a greedy e01 is only producing 260hp and 280 torque at 1.2 bar. so i was thinking bolt the 3071r on and turn the boost down to say 14psi which is just under a bar or am i just talking shit and still need them goalie gloves?
sorry for the hijacking

stumo

They say the standard engine if been looked after is good for 400 horses right or wrong? so in theory you dont need a forged lump to run a gt3071r? so if i was looking for say between 350 to 380 which i think is more than enough for me on these cars would you still max out the injectors and maf?
see mine at the moment with a t28 hybrid and a mines ecu with a greedy e01 is only producing 260hp and 280 torque at 1.2 bar. so i was thinking bolt the 3071r on and turn the boost down to say 14psi which is just under a bar or am i just talking shit and still need them goalie gloves?
sorry for the hijacking
Just get a 2860, they'll make 360, maybe more.

You'll still need bigger injectors, MAF etc etc

There's no point running a 3071 at a bar :doh:

shroom

no problem icecool70 or asking the same things as myself :) ,

thanks jonesy will do,

I will keep you all posted on the bits that I start to get and what im doing