HELP!!!!!!!!!Walbro Fuel Pump Installation

91_GTi-R

i need something that shows this installation a little better then the hiteq one in the how to guide because i went to install my walbro tonight and i cant get it to work at all it doesnt fit in the carrier the strainer doesnt seem right i just need help someone please help me

marcymarc

The walbro is really small, you should of got some foam sheet kinda stuff with your walbro??? this is to wrap round the pump so it will fit in the oe carrier, you will have to tie wrap the whole thing in place

also make sure you use the oe pickup not the one that came with the wabro, it doesnt sit low enough in the tank and causes fuel surge.

91_GTi-R

ok thanks thats what i thought cause the little one broke my pump now im f'd and need to buy another pump it broke the little tab off talk about pissed lol what kind of wrap should i use?

marcymarc

91_GTi-R said:
ok thanks thats what i thought cause the little one broke my pump now im f'd and need to buy another pump it broke the little tab off talk about pissed lol what kind of wrap should i use?

not sure if normal tie wraps would disintigrate with petrol , youll have to find that out mate.

Studlife

ahhyes the fuel pump such a great job lol i used silicone sheeting to put around my pump to fit it in the holder

mine is wired up to a button in the car, is this ok? just means that it's always pumping away unlike the stanard one that runs off ECU?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
jambo_gtir said:
mine is wired up to a button in the car, is this ok? just means that it's always pumping away unlike the stanard one that runs off ECU?
what !!!

so as long as the ignition is on it pumps ??

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
91_GTi-R said:
i need something that shows this installation a little better then the hiteq one in the how to guide because i went to install my walbro tonight and i cant get it to work at all it doesnt fit in the carrier the strainer doesnt seem right i just need help someone please help me
Basically, when you buy a walbro pump which it specifically for the pulsar it should come with a neoprene sleeve which fits round the body of the walbro pump this then fits into the plastic cradle the standard pump was fitted into and then a couple of cable ties round the whole thing to keep it all together should do the trick.

When you removed the standard pump it should have been fitted with a long filter sock, remove this from the standard pump and fit it to the new walbro at the same sort of orientation so when the new pump is fitted in the tank the sock reahes the bottom of the tank.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
you must be bloody mad :der:

I'm not sure but I think that actually might be illegal ???

have you thought about what would happen if you were in a bad accident.............

Just take a minute to think what would happen if you had an accident that trapped you or a passenger in the car and a fuel line was punctured or ripped off..................pissing fuel + hot engine/turbo = perfect ingredients for a car fire...............brilliant :der:

stevepudney said:
you must be bloody mad :der:

I'm not sure but I think that actually might be illegal ???

have you thought about what would happen if you were in a bad accident.............

Just take a minute to think what would happen if you had an accident that trapped you or a passenger in the car and a fuel line was punctured or ripped off..................pissing fuel + hot engine/turbo = perfect ingredients for a car fire...............brilliant :der:
i agree with the mad part about the fuel pump being on a switch, but you can pour petrol on a red hot turbo manifold and it wont catch alight, trust me ive tested it, oil on the other hand goes up much more quickly!:-D

back to the orginal post

this is how the pump should look fitted in the sleve

this is the difference between the walbro filter and changing to a standard R filter

this is in tank with the walbro filter

this is intank with the standard gtiR filter (the one you should be using!) notice how much further it sits down into the reserve tank and flat on the bottom of the tank.

Hope this Helps :)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
EssexAaron said:
i agree with the mad part about the fuel pump being on a switch, but you can pour petrol on a red hot turbo manifold and it wont catch alight, trust me ive tested it, oil on the other hand goes up much more quickly!:-D
You know what I mean though, it's madness :der:

Good post with the pics Aaron

i bought the car like that though, i just thought it was supposed 2 be like that, but cheers for letting me know. I mite get that sorted soon.