Help!!!! Please

Hi
All havent been on for a while.

big broblem car has split the radiator on the motorway oil was at normal temp which is usaully 80 on motorway all was fine till got a squeeking noise from the engine thought not a lot bout it then the oil started rising got to 110 degrees and bang ...

basicly stopped on the side of motorway waited to get towed away and i opended the bonnet up the belt has gone that drives the water pump and the radiator has split and all this happend in such a quick time my temp gauge did not hit the red but went further than normal so bit more than half way. what to do next? do i do a rebuild which i cant afford at the mo and also the car is my only car but will do if i have todo or buy a radiator , belt and a few bits put back together and see what happens?

thanks

sam

warpspeed

Do the rad etc first and try it as you would need to buy those bit's anyway and it won't take that long to fit it all and try the engine

keastygtir

I splt a rad on mine and caught it quick and was fine no problem. Fit the rad etc run it up it seems ok do a head gasket sniff test to be sure. Make sure you bleed the system properly

oki thanks for advise guys do you think it is possible that the belt broke and thats enouth to make it pressure up to blow the rad or does it have to be the compressions are getting into the colling system and blew it? im hopin that it could be the belt then lead to heat up due to no circulation which then pressurized as no circulation then blew the rad... will buy a sniff tess

rich1216

i'd fix the rad and belt and do a compression test to seeif it popped the gasket. How far do you think you drove with the belt gone? If it was off for some time it could of warped the head. But like mentioned early fix the issuse at hand do a comp test and see if its ok. If theres any major damage you will notice it almost straight away.

GTI_R

Check the waterpump hasn't seized... That would causes a squeal.. And then the belt would quickly snap... And with no water pump spinning it would very quickly heat up and blow the rad

took some of car apart to day and the crankshaft pulluy has gone which has caught the waterpump belt and chewed it up and broke it is this somthing that happens on these cars or am i the only one that has the pully brake and go sideways and brake the belt?? thanks sam

At the end of the day its 18-20 year old rubber unlucky it hit the belt
i know and im not knocking it its just annoying that it has heated up broke the belt radiater and stuff for a part that costs 50 quid could have and still could of intill tested ruined the engine.

and for rich and red reading the pully seperated but sideways so was catching the water pump belt and broke it so red reading you are right about seperating :)

thanks every one for help shell be gettin on to bob very soon for parts needed

johnny gtir

i know and im not knocking it its just annoying that it has heated up broke the belt radiater and stuff for a part that costs 50 quid could have and still could of intill tested ruined the engine.

and for rich and red reading the pully seperated but sideways so was catching the water pump belt and broke it so red reading you are right about seperating :)

thanks every one for help shell be gettin on to bob very soon for parts needed
Mate maybe you picked me up wrong. i am gutted for you. I mentioned in my first post check the pullys and my second post was just a reply meaning yes it happens normally due to age of rubber not that there was a problem

Mate maybe you picked me up wrong. i am gutted for you. I mentioned in my first post check the pullys and my second post was just a reply meaning yes it happens normally due to age of rubber not that there was a problem
no worries mate no problem at all :) thanks for ur help and sujestions