Help oil pressure please

johnny gtir

Sorry about the shit write up just how i feel about the car at the min.oil pressure is reading low compaired to normal use fuchs 10/40 and its fine for my use of the car.fitted my oil cooler a while ago oil pressure dropped ever so slightly very minor just started to use the car again and on normal start up oil pressure would be 80 and drop to around 60 when hot and move around as it should when driving revin etc.
Engine had a brandnew oil pump on rebuild ,sump is not dented oil pick up is clear.sure its not the gauge or sender as only drove it a very small distance really and its put play on my low milage turbo.
For all my write up is shit for anyone who knows me will know its nothing i have done or things like when you fitted oil cooler did you add more oil or has it had a the oil changed in the last 5 year etc. what to check next please and thankyou and excuse the write up using my phone. Anything you need to know to help advise just ask

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What's the problem?

Your pressure is reading 80psi on start up and 60psi when hot? That's fine if it's above 3200rpm. what's your idle pressure?
You've changed the oil in the last 5 years? I would hope you've changed it more often than that.

johnny gtir

No it used to be 80 on start up then circa 60 its now 60 on start up then drops to 20 soon as it warms up.i was sayin although suggest them it is not things like the wrong oil ,lack of oil or age of oil stupid obvious little things like that to try and stop replies like when was oil last changed. Check sump check pick up etc etc

Last edited:

pulsarmoley

I run a 10w40 oil and mine has never been higher than 40-45psi when cold on idle and it settles to about 25psi once warmed up. During driving, pressure goes between the 25-45psi range...

johnny gtir

Thanks mate but its the same oil i have always used and my rebuild was done a while ago but is low mileage had a brandnew oil pump and my pressure has always been alot higher.last time this happened on my old engine i checked everythin i could then it went bang when it was stripped the oil pump had started to part inside causing pressure to drop but the age of this one and the fact it was brandnew is the reason i am looking for other options

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
No it used to be 80 on start up then circa 60 its now 60 on start up then drops to 20 soon as it warms up.
You didn't tell us that in your first post.

Factory oil pressure should be not less than 0.98bar at idle and 3.4-4.4bar (approx) over 3200rpm so it still sounds OK IF the 20 is only at idle.

Your oil is fine, but a 10/50 might raise the pressure abit.

If it's above 3200rpm how do you know it's not the gauge? Is it aftermarket or the standard one?

Is this the same engine that was rebuilt before? If not why was this one rebuilt?

Don't assume that because an oil pump is new it's OK. I had one last 3months on an old car back in the 90s.

red reading

is the oil cooler second hand? if so did you clean it out before you fitted it as it may have been full of blown engine debris.

johnny gtir

No danny mate brand new. Sounds stupid i know but explaining on the computer i read my posts back and they sound stupid. Baisically its a problem that has developed as i say only mentioned oil cooler but its been fitted for a long time now nothing i can think of i have changed that would cause it.someone mentioned crank journal.danny if it was you what would you check first ie cheapest best process of elimination ? Probably oil presure killed my low milage roller bearing turbo ?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Roller bearing turbos don't need much oil. Do you have a restrictor in the oil feed line?

Cheapest thing to check is drop the sump and take the caps off and have a look.

If the mains are going/gone you should be able to hear them.

johnny gtir

No knock showing at all on power fc and engine quiet as normal.after market gauge reading oil.no restrictor in oil line but owen developments fitted one in turbo as i bought that brandnew and we talked about it and the car it was going on.i am fairly confident fast guy but talk me through once sump is off checking The caps and if there ok and i have disturbed them then what ?

red reading

first thing to do is fit a quality capilary type oil gauge............not a cheap electronic one, and stop running on 10/40 and put mobil 1 10/60 (it replaces the 15/50)

10 is the low temp thickness (start up) and 60 is hot (100deg) you may find that your oil is not getting to temp now with a cooler fitted hence the lower oil pressure, modern oils wil go to 130+degrees before breakdown nowerdays and are designed to run at 100deg constant.

johnny gtir

I have got 10 possibly even 5w40 as i know 5 is for start up protection and i went for 40 over 50 danny as by going off my oil temp gauge it was running circa 95 which i am sure is where the 40 works well but protects up to around 135 and when i looked into 50 it was to high a protection temp so to speak for the short runs i was doing but was going to put it in on track.i will try a new gauge. I know its only very educated guessing without seeing but why else might the turbo fail if not oil starve. I could be wrong but i am sure it was 370deg bearing.before some smart arse replies like a lad tried to argue how do you get 370 deg its the heat not the rotation of the bearing

red reading

main cause of turbo failure with roller bearing turbos is silicon sealent blocking the restrictor in the turbo................ask owen developments............i had a bit of paint from a dent in my sump take my old turbo out......so now i have a inline filter on the turbo oil supply fitted.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
No knock showing at all on power fc and engine quiet as normal.after market gauge reading oil.no restrictor in oil line but owen developments fitted one in turbo as i bought that brandnew and we talked about it and the car it was going on.i am fairly confident fast guy but talk me through once sump is off checking The caps and if there ok and i have disturbed them then what ?
I've never had to check mine yet, but looking at this http://www.gtirworkshopmanual.com/default.aspx?v=259 should help. As long as the main bearing beam will come off with the engine in situ. You'll only be ably to check one half of the bearing, but the other half should be similar wear wise.

Check your turbo drain is not blocked or kinked.

johnny gtir

Can not thank you both enough for your time will work on all this and report as i go thanks lads. Feed and drain checked for kinks and majour blocks if that makes sense will check more strictly again tho.

johnny gtir

Get some work done you. Picked it up last night mate told your lass you said i could have the keys i had spoke to you but on comp and you could not contact her to let her know so yes it was a cheap engine lol

williams

lol, i speak to her every night man haha. you should buy it off me though. will do it for a 3 figure price.