Help! Not starting

BMCC

What voltage have you got at the battery? I've been told that anything more than 0.1V drop between connections would indicate that the wire is the problem. So measure the voltage in steps and see what you are getting, if it goes down by more 0.1V then try cleaning up the connection.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
There's no drop between the battery and the block, but it looks like ~0.3V between the battery and the starter. - I can believe that this might be a problem, but the information that came with the new starter says anything less that 0.5V is OK.

Interestingly 8% of all starter failures are due to it being a poorly-shimmed GM starter (and something like 64% is battery-related).

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Is there a chance you could swap or borrow a battery 1st before going to all this trouble.

If your battery has seen better days then at least you can rule it out before going through all this rigmarole?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It's the same size battery as the Amica (including the posts), and that battery starts the Amica so I figure it should at least try to turn the R over.

I should probably pull my finger out and get back at it. - Can't be many more things to check.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Maybe two knackered batteries? - When I connect them in parallel with the booster it kicks over (quite easily with the new starter; it's definitely better than the one I've taken out).

I'll order a new battery and see if that means it starts the next time I need it to. :oops:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
...no, but I need to buy new tyres now too. :doh:

The constabulary took a dim view of how much tread was left on the fronts.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Result. A new battery isn't expensive.
I've just found the receipt for the last one; purchased on 25/01/12 with a four-year warranty.

I've told them it's not holing charge, so hopefully I can get it replaced for free.

Also, new windscreen installed and the missing trim put back on £158. - I'm please as Autoglass told me £360 when I asked about having it done at the same time as the Amica (which was an insurance job).