Help me choose a TURBO for 400 bhp

ShayneG

Right, there are that many to choose from and I have been on the net for hours and cant come to a decision :(
I want to run around 400 bhp with fast spoolup. Here's my spec below:

Full rebuild by GMP Motorsport in association with DP Motorsport.
New engine block
87mm HKS shallow skirt forged pistons
Farndon Engineering custom I beam conrods
Knife edge balanced crankshaft, ARP big end bolts
2mm HKS head gasket
Raceware head stud kit
Head fully machine ported and polished
Piper 270ْ competition spec camshafts with up rated valve springs
New oil and water pumps
New timing chain and adjuster/tensioner
13 row Mocal oil cooler with braided hose
Forge Motorsport custom Skyline spec front mounted intercooler
K & N 57i air filter
Cusco oil catch tank
Stage 2 T28 turbo
Full 2¾” Mongoose stainless steel exhaust with 5” tip
Bosch 0044 Group A in tank fuel pump
HKS iridium spark plugs
Apexi SAFC fuel controller
Apexi AVC-R boost controller
Apexi 64mm mechanical boost gauge and mechanical water temperature gauge
310mm front brake disk conversion with separate alloy bell and 4 pot E Type Jaguar callipers and Mintex 1144 pads
Goodrich braided brake lines and dot 5.1 brake fluid

Clutch:

AP Racing organic centre plate with high pressure cover plate assembly and new release bearing.
New master cylinder

Please feel very free to offer advice on which Turbo to get :p

Thanks

O

Odin

I would agree :wink: it seems to be the turbo of choice at the moment 8) .

rob

Dooie Pop Pop

only thing id change to your spec is a thinner head gasket :wink: failing that. buy the 3071r and run it at 2.3bar 8) :twisted: :wink:

O

Odin

Yes i didn't notice the gasket, it is a bit on the thick side isn't it :shock: , Will make the car not so nice to drive off boost.

rob

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Well he only asked about the turbo but if we're changing other things then i'd change to a 1.2mm head gasket and still run it up to 2.2bar... :twisted:

You'll get about 450bhp with a bizzare amount of torque!...

DO IT!.... GO ON!... DOO IT!...

Rishi

Dooie Pop Pop

RishiGTiR said:
Well he only asked about the turbo but if we're changing other things then i'd change to a 1.2mm head gasket and still run it up to 2.2bar... :twisted:

Rishi
funny you should say that :mrgreen: im a map sensor and one of carls rather trick manifolds away from doing exactly that :wink: :lol: seeing as im already getting 395bhp and 370lbft at 1.4 and a dribble bar, 2+bar would be...... very.....interesting :lol:

BUT seeing as i like my oe conrods on the inside of the block i' ll leave the mad stuff to you :roll: :( :wink: :lol:

stu

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Dooie Pop Pop said:
RishiGTiR said:

Rishi
funny you should say that :mrgreen: im a map sensor and one of carls rather trick manifolds away from doing exactly that :wink: :lol: seeing as im already getting 395bhp and 370lbft at 1.4 and a dribble bar, 2+bar would be...... very.....interesting :lol:

BUT seeing as i like my oe conrods on the inside of the block i' ll leave the mad stuff to you :roll: :( :wink: :lol:

stu

When have you ever seen a GTiR conrod fail due to stress....

Just as long as you have ARP Rod Bolts you'll be fine...

DO IT!!... DOOO IT!... :twisted:

Rishi

ShayneG

new turbo now ordered - GT3071R-WG

plus dp manifold of Sweeny
plus Z32 maf

just need to find a 3" turbo elbow now :wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

:D the worlds gone 3071r mad! :roll: :lol: :lol:

my engine does apparently have arp rod bolts Rishi :p there' s a few other things to take into account though like the oe ignition for a start which allegedly has a 400 bhp limit.
i can tell you that if you take you future mother inlaw out in your R after solemnly promising 'not to kill her' and forget to reconnect your actuator hose after taking a few snaps to send to atp.
and THEN pull onto a dc slip road in 2nd and give it 2/3 throttle expecting to get 1barish and a bit of pull, only to have to cross the steering wheel twice as you power slide onto the carrageway banging off the limiter :shock:

after all that (i sh1te my pants more than she did) you check the peak hold on your bc you will find that you can max the 3071r at 2.5bar :shock:
i really wouldn' t recommend doing it though :wink: bit scary tbh :lol: i keep waiting for the bang! phut phut phut :(

JIMMYBACK

Dooie Pop Pop said:
:D the worlds gone 3071r mad! :roll: :lol: :lol:

my engine does apparently have arp rod bolts Rishi :p there' s a few other things to take into account though like the oe ignition for a start which allegedly has a 400 bhp limit.
i can tell you that if you take you future mother inlaw out in your R after solemnly promising 'not to kill her' and forget to reconnect your actuator hose after taking a few snaps to send to atp.
and THEN pull onto a dc slip road in 2nd and give it 2/3 throttle expecting to get 1barish and a bit of pull, only to have to cross the steering wheel twice as you power slide onto the carrageway banging off the limiter :shock:

after all that (i sh1te my pants more than she did) you check the peak hold on you bc you will find that you can max the 3071r at 2.5bar :shock:
i really wouldn' t recommend doing it though :wink: bit scary tbh :lol: i keep waiting for the bang! phut phut phut :(
2.5 bar sounds like a job for jimmy :lol: :lol:

O

Odin

Just remember that the DP manifold puts the turbo in a dif position than standard, So you will need to get a custom down pipe and not one that will fit the standard turbo position :wink: .

rob