Head removal HELP PLEASE

projectgtir

It seems I have blown the headgasket but wont know until ive got the head off .

Ive taken both the inlet and exhaust manifolds off and rocker cover.
But now im stuck with what to do next, do i just start removing cams first or untension the chain ,or is there somthing else to do.
Do I mark everything up or just rotate the crank now till tdc then remove ect..
Quick pic just to show where im at.

P

pulsarboby

just unbolt the tensioner and remove cam caps (remember these must go back in correct order)
remove cams
remove head bolts not forgetting the little 10mm bolts at edge and front of block
then carefully lift the head off being carefull not to break the plastic guide pulley at front of engine (same when refitting)

once the head is off you can then go about the clean up and checking headgasket (get the head and blockface checked too for warpage)
then turn the engine over by hand to get no1 piston at tdc and refit the head
timing can be done easily without the need for using the bright links

P

pulsarboby

just one last thing i forgot
when you turn engine over by hand make sure you get someone to keep the chain held up taught (i bungee it up from under bonnet)
if you dont do this the chain will bunch and break the little lug off at the bottom of the oil pump....not the end of the world but better if you avoid that happening

Trip

I did this a couple of weeks ago (with lots of tips from Bob too) .

You can find the tightening torques and sequence of all the important bolts on the manual. http://www.gtirworkshopmanual.com/default.aspx?v=198 . This is for timing chain so there isn't need to remove the oil pan or any other parts not stuck to head apart from the chain tensioner.

Smo

Thanks trip i take it 2 check the faces for warpage a long straight edge is used.
An easy way to go about it is to use a metal ruler and a torch, place the ruler at a 90 degree angle (upright) to the head/block and shine the torch from behind it - if you can see light at any point from the other side, the surface has warped.

projectgtir

Thanks smo, I hope the block is ok otherwise its got to come out ,
I knew I should of just dropped the whole lot instead of in situ .

I tempted to put brand new forge pistons in now and go for 2871 instead of 2860 as ive heard it can be done in situ.
I'll see what it looks like once its split first.