head gasket

nathan

right i was driving about the other day when i noticed the temperature was up so i pulled over and the top hose had popped so i rang the AA (he was there in 10 mins) he fixed for me i had to show him how to bleed it up then i noticed that the rad pipes where hard so he did a head gasket check when he pumped the tester up water came out from the back of the engine so my question is could a split pipe cause it to pressurizer and there are air bubbles in the radiator

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
More likely the other way around. - The gasket leak caused the pressure to build and split the hose.
Did he do a "sniffer" test; that's a dead give-away that you've got exhaust gasses leaking into the coolant from a blown head gasket?

nathan

he did a pump up test on the rad i have only just done the head gasket from when i did my popped my piston

stumo

The "pump test" sounds like he pressurised the cooling system to test for leaks...

If he did the sniffer test he would have used a coloured liquid which changes colour if there's combustion gasses present.

If the head gasket had gone it can pressurise the system and either pop a hose off or split hoses too (as well as usually forcing a lot of water out the overflow bottle.

If your rad cap is seized/ not working it can cause the system to overpressurise, did he check the cap too???

nathan

iv not checked that neither did he the pump test is to test for leaks i will go check my cap now

stumo

so let me get this straight....

Your temps went up, the AA man came out, refitted the top hose and pressure tested the system.

There was a leak at the back of the engine.

what might have happened is there was a leak at the back of the engine, the water level dropped.

As the level dropped the temps got higher (cos there's less water in there). Maybe the top hose came off cos you didn't tighten it properly????

You might be lucky and the gasket is fine. I'd replace the leaky hose, fill it up and see what happens.

If you find the temps rising then you could buy a sniffer kit....sniffer kit

and test your head gasket.

nathan

fook it im gonna whip the head off and get it skimmed and put a new gasket on again and do all the hoses on the back

darkyGTI-R

Sounds like the ancillaries/heater hoses at the back of the engine have gone awol you have exactly the same symptoms as mine!
Incidentally mine is now in the garage being fixed:)