Handling of my R is brilliant now.

chrism

Just thought Id share this positive info.

Ive always thought the handling on my R was iffy at speed and the understeer was almost embarrassing sometimes. I decided to try and do something about it so I fitted powerflex bushes to the engine and gearbox, which stiffened it right up nicely, and then the anti-rollbar bushes were also changed. Ive been farely nice to the R since then but today I was giving my colleague a run in the R to let him see how it goes and I got a tiny wee bit carried away in a roundabout. It held brilliantly round it. Almost like a neutral feel with a tiny, but controllable, bit of oversteer. It just went where I pointed it. The stability at high speed has improved and under braking feels much much safer.

Im now in that zone where Im not actually sure about selling the pile of shit as its too much fun to give away. Ive started turning up the boost again towards 2 bar and Im loving it. I put in a new sound system too so I dont have to listen to the constant creaking and rattling of every plastic component in it.

I just wish fuel prices were a bit more humane. We were over £1.60 per litre the other day here. Thats about £7.30 a gallon!! :help:

j0ff

would the engine + gearbox mounts make much difference to handling? Good to hear that just changing ARB bushes is worth it though.

chrism

The gearbox and engine mounts didnt make that much difference but it stopped the unit rocking back and forward as much so it will help it slightly. It was however the arb bushes that made the biggest difference. However. mine were pretty worn. Best mod Ive done så far.

chrism

Front top strut. GAB shocks and lowering (unknown)spring kit 30mm. 17" superleggeras with 205/40. Thats it.

skiddusmarkus

Engine mounts do make a difference.When ine were knackered I had no confidence in corners as I could feel the engine move and shift the weight about the car.After I had solid ones fitted it wa smuch better.It doesn't really improve tha handling as such, just stops it being so shit in the 1st place.